Howard-directed ‘Nixon’ on top of game

While it often seems like every Hollywood romance fails in good time, there is one relationship in Tinseltown that has remained constant — the undying love film producers have with Broadway. Although this bond has resulted in some good(“Chicago”), bad (“Mamma Mia!”) and just plain ugly (“The Wiz”) offspring, every now and then the outcome is a phenomenal work of art like “West Side Story” or “A Streetcar Named Desire.” Although too current to compare to such classics, “Frost/Nixon” is, nonetheless, a captivating, carefully constructed drama that manages to be both entertaining and educational.

Having already conquered London in 2006 and Broadway in 2007, screenwriter Peter Morgan (“The Other Boleyn Girl”), who wrote the play the film is based on, returns to take on the challenge of bringing his dramatized true story of two men craving to gain public approval to the silver screen.

David Frost (Michael Sheen, “The Queen”) is a talk show host who loves the lavish life of jet plane rides and celebrity interviews but secretly strives to achieve journalistic legitimacy. Richard Nixon (Frank Langella, “Superman Returns”) is the embittered former president who wants to win back the hearts of America and return to the politics of the East Coast. Consequently, the unlikely pair agrees to a four-part interview covering Nixon’s tumultuous presidency, including the notorious Watergate scandal that led to his resignation. Yet it soon becomes apparent this is a battle that only one man can win.

In his most recent attempt at film adaptation, director Ron Howard (“The Da Vinci Code”) demonstrates he is far more skilled at adapting plays than he is novels. With two Oscars already on his mantle for his work in “A Beautiful Mind,” it comes as no surprise that Howard is an expert at converting historical events into vibrant cinematic energy. While it may be difficult for audiences to draw the line between fact and fiction, this film’s creators do an exceptional job of effectively capturing this key moment in history in a way that is fast-moving and enjoyable and not weighed down with irrelevant information.

But where Howard truly shines is in his ability to actually enhance what was already a well-received, Tony Award-winning play. In the film, Morgan’s compelling themes regarding the magnitude of one’s public image and the correlation between media and politics are made even more prevalent as a result of Howard’s approach.

The up-close encounters between Frost and Nixon are also brilliantly played out in a way that was unattainable onstage. The audience is pulled into this intense cat and mouse game thanks to expert cinematography and lighting used to accurately encapsulate each man’s emotions at that given point in time. This culminates in one of the best cinematic moments of the year — Frost leans in and asks Nixon, “Are you saying the president can do something illegal?” only to have Nixon bellow back, “I’m saying that when the president does it, that means it’s not illegal!” The expression Frost gives in response as he stammers, “I’m sorry” is absolutely priceless.

While this film succeeds on many levels, the acting is the true driving force. Howard knew just what he was doing when he agreed to direct on the condition that both Langella and Sheen reprised the roles they created onstage in the London and Broadway productions.

Langella, who won a Tony Award for Best Leading Actor for this role, is all but guaranteed an Oscar nomination for capturing the genuine essence of Nixon without resorting to simply looking or sounding exactly like him. He also nails a wide range of emotions, from comical to aggressive, and he even draws sympathy from the audience for a man many Americans see as a crook. Although outperformed by Langella, Sheen has unquestionably grown into his role over the years, and this experience results in an exceptionally believable portrayal of the wily and engaging Frost.

Although the show belongs to its two stars, the supporting cast is stellar all around. Sam Rockwell (“Choke”), Oliver Platt (“Martian Child”) and Michael Macfadyen (“Pride & Prejudice”) are excellent as Frost’s crack investigators, but it is Kevin Bacon (“Death Sentence”) who tops them all for his riveting performance as Nixon’s post-presidential chief of staff, Jack Brennan.

All in all, “Frost/Nixon” is a well-rounded masterpiece that excels in all three areas of film’s holy trinity of acting, directing and writing and therefore is sure to be a dominant force come Oscar season.

4 1/2 stars out of