Beer enthusiasts ‘drunk’ with joy

For decades, kids across the nation have been passing time on long bus trips by breaking into a rousing chorus of perhaps the most recognized drinking song of all time. While many of us know the infinitely annoying yet classic ditty “99 Bottles of Beer,” very few of us actually realize all the time and effort that goes into getting those bottles on the wall in the first place.

Therefore, why not become better acquainted with this alcoholic standard and attend one of The Orpheum Theatre’s four screenings of “99 Bottles Documentary,” a film that explores the history, culture and brew-making processes of the worst-kept secret in Wisconsin: beer.

It probably comes as no surprise that the inspiration for this documentary did not just develop overnight. Instead, like all great beer revelations, the idea for “99 Bottles Documentary” originated over a pint at a local tavern.

“Glen Popple and David Oplinger, the producers, were sitting at Wolski’s Tavern while drinking beers and trying to think of the next great project to create. They chose the subject because it had not been done before and there is a lot of beer heritage in Wisconsin,” said Jason Williams, director and third member of the self-proclaimed “three musketeers of documentary filmmaking.”

Hoping to accurately capture the craft brewing industry, the trio ventured to 16 diverse breweries and brewpubs in or around Madison and Milwaukee, from Mount Horeb’s tiny award-winning brewpub — the Grumpy Troll — to the glimmering halls of the New Glarus Brewing Company’s newest stainless-steel beer sanctuary.

“Wisconsin’s beer culture is world-famous, but the beauty of it is that once you are standing at the base of the lighthouse beacon of Miller, if you search even a little you will see signs of life in the local beer market. There are over 70 breweries, brewpubs and contract breweries in Wisconsin alone. It is the natural setting for a frothy free-for-all,” Oplinger said.

Over the course of their travels, the filmmaking crew talked to numerous brewmasters and owners in order to better understand the sweat equity that goes into continuing centuries-old brewing traditions despite ever-toughening legislation, worldwide resource shortages and an ever-growing public demand for excellence in their product.

“We apologize: You will learn something,” Oplinger said. “However, the truly intriguing characters that come out in the film will completely hide that fact. The movie is geared toward introducing the viewer to this fun and vibrant culture, and it leaves you thirsty for more. No, really. You will want to go right out and get a cold beer immediately.”

Now, after only seven months of filming and editing, these three musketeers are ready to please the palates of casual drinkers and beer aficionados alike with their freshly brewed documentary. In fact, beer enthusiasts even play a special role of their own in the film.

“They [beer enthusiasts] helped give us the ideas to ask the right questions the public wanted of the brewmasters. Also, they helped lead in to the various chapters with the documentary as it is being viewed,” Williams said.

And in case you were wondering, yes, there will be beer. As an added bonus, all attendees who arrive a half hour before any of the four shows can enjoy refreshing beer samples from all the breweries in the film.

When asked whether this experience has resulted in a new favorite beer, Oplinger replied, “It depends on my mood. I do know that I will never go back to boring, watery macrobeer. Why would I? The styles that we discovered have convinced me that there is a beer for everyone. The one certainty I do have as to what beer is the best is this: If you do not like beer, you have simply not tried the right one.”

So if you are looking for something to do over the next four days, you would be wise to jot down this event and pass it around to all your friends, because it is guaranteed to be an intoxicating experience.

“99 Bottles Documentary” runs from Nov. 13-16 at The Orpheum Theatre. Visit orpheumtheatre.net for information about tickets and showtimes.