Singer John Legend gives ‘Greenlight’ to evolution

John Legend, known for his sultry vocals and soothing R&B soul tracks, is mixing it up with his new album, Evolver, which appeared in stores on Tuesday.

True to its title, Legend is evolving his style, pumping in upbeat music to mix with his originally smooth tracks. It is not surprising that the new combo is amazing; with a voice like his, Legend could sell an album talking about politics and still make millions, and he knows it. For that reason, the main focus of the album is still those mesmerizing vocals, and although there has been a tiny tweak in style, fans won’t be disappointed because the true John Legend still shines through. Kanye West, Estelle and Andre 3000 help bring the quicker modern beats and are each featured on a track. Brandy also collaborated on a slower song.

Any song on this album could be listened to for hours on end, but “Greenlight” featuring Andre 3000 is especially addictive. The mixture of Legend’s hypnotizing voice with Andre 3000’s popular quick-moving style makes pushing that repeat button look like an unmistakable choice. Hearing Legend say things like, “I’m dyin to meet ya/ So let’s mess around/ I got an obsession/ Of us gettin’ down,” and “We could go all night/ Give me the green light/ I’m ready to go right now” is practically porn for the ears. Listening to this song will have any woman and a lot of men wishing Legend would give them the green light.

As if having to deal with ear porn isn’t enough, the album is also full of soothing ballads like “Good Morning” that might literally leave a listener hypnotized. There is just something so honest and smooth about Legend’s voice. It’s torture to have to listen to that magical man say things like, “Baby give me one more hour/ I want you to stay right there/ I don’t wanna lose a moment/ I don’t wanna miss a kiss.” It is comical to think of Legend begging for someone to give him one more hour when in reality he would have to pry them out of his bed with a restraining order, but the track is enchanting all the same.

The rest the album is filled with equally incredible tracks, making it impossible to pick favorites. “No Other Love” featuring Estelle has a Bob Marley vibe with a little less reggae and a little more R&B. It has more frustrating lyrics like “Feelin’ like I can’t resist/ Turn me on, turn me on,” making it seem like Legend enjoys teasing his fans.

Overall there is not one second of bad music or lackluster vocals on the entire album. John Legend’s new album Evolver is a must for either purchasing or downloading, and sorry, men of the world, because after women listen to this album, you’re going to have to try that much harder at the bars.