Radio broadcast invades Overture

Attention trekkies, radio fans and sci-fi buffs: “War of the Worlds” is invading the Overture Center for the Arts Oct. 21. Performed by the Los Angeles Theater Show and directed by former Star Trek: The Next Generation star John De Lancie, Orson Welles’ “War of the Worlds” and Arthur Conan Doyle’s “The Lost World” will be performed by a live cast who have appeared on “Star Trek,” “E.R.,” “Heroes” and “Gilmore Girls,” just to name a few.

In 1938, a fictional broadcast an alien invasion simultaneously scared and entertained those exposed to “War of the Worlds.” During this 1938 premiere, some indeed believed they were hearing an actual broadcast of the apocalypse of the earth, that aliens were indeed taking over.

Although the Internet prevails in modern college life, the magic of performance radio lives on.

“Radio ultimately has a greater capacity because you, the audience, are the ones that create the pictures,” said John De Lancie, director of the Overture Center’s upcoming production of “War of the Worlds.” “… I’ve had a group of restless kids in the living room listening to a two hour broadcast of ‘The Lost World.’ They sat still for the entire time, entranced.”

But the allure of “War of the Worlds” goes beyond the medium through which it is presented, De Lancie explained.

“The most interesting thing about ‘War of the Worlds’ is how fear can create a panic button that allows us to make irrational decisions” he said, describing fear as a motivator that causes people to think irrationally. “We have operated for the last eight years in a government that focuses on fear as a motivator. At the beginning of the show, I put a series of actual radio broadcasts of Hitler and Mussolini to show how fear is used to control society.”

De Lancie continues to be involved in film, television and theater, but he is most commonly known for his role on “Star Trek: Voyager” as the character Q.

“The most rewarding part of my career is that I get to do it all. What’s fun about the last six months is that I shot a movie, a TV show, directed a play, wrote a play and I’m doing a concert,” De Lancie said. Among his many talents, De Lancie holds a passion for science fiction and entertainment. “I read science fiction as a kid, and there are lots of issues in the plots that one takes seriously,” said De Lancie.

De Lancie certainly knows science fiction, and the star-studded cast is sure to amuse as they perform “War of the Worlds” and “The Lost World.” The audience can expect constant entertainment and a new kind of imagination-engaging fun. Don’t miss the opportunity to see this historic performance at the Overture Center of the Arts Oct. 21 at 7:30 p.m.

Tickets for “War of the Worlds” and “The Lost World” are priced from $25 to $45 and can be purchased online at www.overaturecenter.com.