Madison ‘faces reality’ with latest MTV auditions

[media-credit name=’KRIS UGARRIZA/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]RealWorld_KU[/media-credit]

With 20 successful seasons already under its belt, “The Real World” has captured some serious bitch fights, hookups and drunken escapades.

Camera crews follow a group of seven cast members over a drama-filled five-month stay in the pimped out “The Real World” set. On Sunday, Oct. 19 from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m., MTV informed students that it’s time to “stop being polite, and start getting real,” as auditions for the 22nd season of the dynastic show were held at Brother’s bar on University Avenue

As Casting director for Bunim/Murray, Martin Booker casts shows such as “The Apprentice” and “Beauty and the Geek,” and now he searches for stars of the upcoming season of “The Real World.

“There is one season currently airing, one shooting, and now we are casting for the show after the next,” Booker said.

The location of this season remains undisclosed until later in the casting process. Sill, interested 18 to 24-year-olds filled out questionnaires in the booths at Brother’s while nervously awaiting their big chance to wow the casting agents.

“I saw a flyer when we were here on Wednesday night, and I’ve wanted to do this for a really long time,” super-senior Danielle Danor said. “I’m graduating in May and I don’t have any commitments, so this is a good time to take five months to be on “The Real World.” I just turned 23, so this is my last opportunity to try out; I’m super nervous.”

After Sunday’s casting, the crew calls select finalists back to the hotel they are staying at for an in-depth, filmed interview where no territory of the contestants’ lives is left uncharted. Booker then whittles down the potential cast members based on their video interviews, and they are finally put through an elimination casting in Los Angeles.

“We get a lot of different people. You do get some interesting characters; you get a wide range, one who wants to teach elementary school kids, and the next is into dominatrix,” Booker said regarding the diverse turnout of castings like the one held at Brothers. “It’s really about getting people from different parts of the country. It’s a pretty varied country; the South is very different from the North, and the East Coast is very different from the West Coast.”

After the casting process is finished, the seven selected individuals spend five months living in the same house with cameras filming their every move.

“This show is created almost as a documentary. You don’t have to be talented at anything in particular; you just have to be yourself in front of the camera, so we try to look for the most interesting mix of cast members,” Booker said.

Five months of pretty unstructured time often leads to some serious reality drama. To curb this — or perhaps add even more heat — MTV assigns cast members a job and sends them on a surprise vacation throughout the season.

“They do have free time. They can do pretty much what they want; the catch is that cameras are always watching,” Booker said.

The 21st season of “The Real World,” set in Brooklyn, premieres next year. Then check out the 22nd season to see if one of Madison’s own made the cut.