Culture alive at upcoming event

As the school year gets into full swing and the days get increasingly shorter, the unfortunate reality that summer and the celebrations that go with it are now months upon months away is probably now beginning to sink in. But fear not, students of Madtown — a one-of-a-kind Independence Day celebration is coming 294 days early this year.

How is this possible? Simply put, this festival is celebrating Mexican, not American, independence. That said, if you head out to Willow Island at the Alliant Energy Center this Sunday for La Movida-Viva Mexico Festival, you will not only be able to dance, eat and enjoy live entertainment for free but also experience firsthand some of the great traditions that make up Mexican culture.

The story of Mexican Independence goes way back to just before the dawn of Sept. 16, 1810, when a humble Catholic priest from a small Mexican town called Dolores uttered the battle cry that would bring a troubled nation to its feet. Known as the Grito de Dolores (“Cry of Dolores”), Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla’s speech encouraged the people of his town to fight against the Spanish government. Even though the Battle of Dolores did not occur until 12 days later, this event has reached almost mythic status in Mexico, and the Grito de Dolores is emblematic of Mexican independence much in the way the Declaration of Independence is for America.

Nowadays, every single city and town in Mexico celebrates this date as their Independence Day. Sept. 15 at 11 p.m. in Mexico City, the president starts the festivities by ringing the historic liberty bell and crying “Mexicanos, Viva Mexico!” To this, the crowd and Mexicans all across the country echo in reply, “Viva Mexico!” Afterward, a nationwide party consisting of rodeos, parades, bullfights, traditional dances and, of course, feasting erupts. Although the festival here in Madison does not occur on the same date, it has a full day’s worth of fun and excitement lined up to reflect the official celebration.

For the past four years, the La Movida-Viva Mexico Festival has been presented by La Movida Radio — 1480 AM, the first and only all-Spanish radio station in Madison. Therefore, the festival does not disappoint when it come to providing music.

This year, the festival will be entertaining audiences with live music on two different stages, each with a stunning backdrop of the downtown skyline. The Charter Latino-Pachucos Stage will feature small bands, including two performances by the traditional mariachi band Real Azteca. Better still, the larger Einstein Wireless-Bud Light-La Movida stage will showcase six popular Latino bands including the Madison-based Latino rap group El Gatty & Filote, Lucero Terrazas and Los Capos de M?xico. In addition to the musical acts, the La Movida stage will also feature a Ballet Folklorico Mexico (a traditional Mexican ballet), the opening ceremony at 11 a.m. and the crowning and presentation of Miss Viva Mexico. Surrounding these two stages will be 29 acres of natural green space on which to try authentic Mexican food, view a variety of exhibits and join in on demonstrations.

Those who want to kick it into high gear before the festival begins can head down to the Villager Mall at 2300 S. Park St. at 10 a.m. to watch the sixth annual traditional car rally as it makes its way down to the Alliant Energy Center.

So for all of you out there looking for one last chance at a summer festival, the opportunity to experience a different culture or maybe even an excuse to sit back and enjoy a few Coronas on a Sunday, the Viva Mexico Festival 2008 is the event for you.

La Movida-Viva Mexico Festival 2008 runs from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. this Sunday at the Alliant Energy Center. Tickets are free but must be obtained in advance via Sponsor Stops. Visit Lamovidaradio.com for sponsor locations.