Downey Jr. soars as ‘Iron Man’

It took 18 years of on-and-off development, but comic book fans can finally rejoice now that “Iron Man” has made its long-awaited debut to theaters. Fortunately, the film does not succumb to the hype that has surrounded it for months but instead erupts from the screen with high-octane entertainment that even those unfamiliar to the comic will enjoy.

Over the course of its prolonged production period, this project has had a variety of directors attached to it. The studio made the right choice by ultimately deciding on Jon Favreau (“Zathura: A Space Adventure”). Favreau wisely takes the movie in a direction that avoids stylized frames and dramatic themes, a formula that has proven cataclysmic for past superhero films. The result is an easily digestible action flick that has a realistic feel.

Just like the character it immortalizes, a superhero movie can have its weaknesses. A lackluster supporting cast and unsatisfactory climax have the tendency to drag this film down. Luckily, Robert Downey Jr. (“Charlie Bartlett”) more than picks up the weight as the film’s titular character.

In the film, Tony Stark (Downey Jr.) is a billionaire industrialist who specializes in weapon design and womanizing. While demonstrating his newest product in Afghanistan, Stark is severely injured and kidnapped by a local terrorist group and has to resort to building an iron suit of armor to escape. Once back home in California, Stark remodels his original creation into a flying, technological super-suit so that he can fight against the destruction that he helped create. Unfortunately, Stark’s resentful business partner Obadiah Stane (Jeff Bridges, “Stick It”) has his own plans on how to best use Stark’s invention.

When word came out that Downey Jr. would be taking on the role of Iron Man, fans applauded Favreau for casting an actor whose personal history greatly resembled Stark’s. Consequently, Downey Jr. does not disappoint, as he is no doubt the best part of this film. He digs deep to the heart of the character and shows that it is not just about the superhero but, more importantly, it is a story about the man behind the mask. With a devilish goatee and sarcastic humor, Downey Jr. dynamically portrays Stark as a likeable, egocentric and unconventional hero.

Even though the plot is an origins story that focuses on how the character became who he is, the writers do an excellent job of making sure Stark’s transformation is captivating even when there is not a lot of action going on. When it finally does come time for the climactic battle, though, it is a short-lived disappointment that is nowhere near as explosive as the rest of the flick. Hopefully the sequels — the actors have already signed on to two more — will give audiences a much more riveting showdown.

Yet, it does not help that Bridges is lifeless and unintimidating as Iron Man’s nemesis. Although the shaved head and monstrous beard give him the look of a villain, Downey Jr. overshadows him throughout the movie, and even when it is his turn to shine Bridges does little more than fizzle.

As Stark’s personal secretary Pepper Potts, Gwyneth Paltrow (“Running with Scissors”) is unable to bring the innocent sexiness that her role requires. Her natural, sophisticated grace does not fit with the character, and this film is a dismal representation of her gifted abilities. All the same, she does manage to effectively play the motions without being too much of a distraction.

Terrence Howard (“Awake”) does the best work possible with his portrayal of Jim Rhodes, a character whose comic book role has been greatly reduced in this movie. As the middleman between Stark Industries, the military and Stark’s close friend, Rhodes is made into an annoying disciplinarian who jumps at any chance to question Stark’s ethics.

While Favreau does not do any groundbreaking work with this film, the extravagant special effects are nevertheless visually stimulating and give the movie a refreshing energy. The seamless blend of CG into the real-world setting gives the film an overall polished sensation, and the addition of an exhilarating soundtrack that features a pulsating score and hard rock classics aids in intensifying this final product.

In the end, “Iron Man” is well worth the wait. The film’s minor flaws can be blissfully ignored in this crowd-pleasing thrill ride thanks to Downey Jr.’s remarkable performance and two hours of SFX-laden action. All in all, “Iron Man” is a great start to what is turning out to be a very superhero-saturated summer.

?

3.5 stars out of 5