‘Beautiful Lie’ reveals truth in photo fiction

Stephen Hilyard's art exhibit, The Beautiful Lie, is an intriguing medley of digitally altered photographs and computer animation pieces now on display at the Madison Museum of Contemporary Art. Hilyard, a digital arts assistant professor at the University of Wisconsin, alters photographs by combining multiple images or varying colors to produce stunning effects.

Hilyard's "King Wave" series, part of the exhibit, is a set of three images of waves crashing into the shore. The pictures have been digitally altered so brilliant green waves stand in stark contrast to bright white surf and black background. An accompanying plaque explains the original photos were taken at Cape Naturaliste, at the tip of a small peninsula protruding into Geographe Bay in Western Australia.

"In the two-dimensional work in the exhibition," Hilyard said in a phone interview with The Badger Herald, "everything in the image has come from a photograph, in some cases from multiple photographs. In the case of the wave, it's all from a single photograph."

The exhibit continues with selections from Hilyard's compilation "50 Views of HMS Belfast." HMS Belfast is a British naval cruiser used in the 1900s, especially during World War II. It is the largest remaining piece of British naval war craft and is currently anchored near London's Tower Bridge.

In much of the series, Hilyard combines images of the historical ship with brilliantly colored skies with striking contrast. "50 Views of HMS Belfast (Seat of Wisdom)" depicts a piece of metal machinery from the Belfast that resembles a human face with a vivid sunset in the background. The effect is an appreciation of the beauty of both sky and machinery.

"I have my views about war, but that piece was really not supposed to be a comment on war or politics. … It was more taking the ship as an object [and exploring] the logic of the war," Hilyard said.

The titles of the HMS Belfast artworks are phrases from the Litany of Loreto, a Catholic prayer to the Virgin Mary. Yet in spite of these allusions, Hilyard is not religious.

"My interest in religion is really as a part of our cultural heritage," Hilyard said.

The Beautiful Lie also contains Hilyard's work in three-dimensional animation. Visitors to the exhibit can relax on black foam cubes and watch three short videos, "Always," "One Life" and "Sunflower." Hilyard explores the blend of animated compositions and aural libretto.

"Always" is a video of a digital cloud animation moving in coordination with a vibraphone composition of Willie Nelson's song, "You Were Always on My Mind." It is a peaceful experience. "One Life" depicts animated bees moving around white flowers while muffled theatrical voices, perhaps from a soap opera, are heard.

Finally, "Sunflower" shows the melting ice of Lake Superior with a conversation between two voices. At one point a voice asks, "What do I look like?," and a deeper, more resonant voice responds, "I don't know. To me, I look like myself." Hilyard explains this discourse was "intended [to be an] internal dialogue of some kind within an individual person. The voices are all performed by the same actor, changing his voice back and forth."

Overall, Hilyard's work is moving. The two-dimensional images are breathtaking and stirring, as the many layers of each slowly emerge. His work leaves room for individual interpretation, making a stroll through the exhibit satisfying.

"I want [viewers] to be intrigued," Hilyard said. "I want the work to draw them into where they're trying to solve it, like a puzzle. I want them to find it beautiful and engaging. I hope that they will be led to try and make connections [and] find the poetry in it."

The Beautiful Lie is at MMoCA, the free art museum at 227 State St., through Feb. 17.