‘Golden Compass’ points viewer down safe, scenic route

Religion has entered into conversation involving an unquantifiable measure of Hollywood releases. Some films thank this type of attention while others suffer from it. Mel Gibson's arousing portrayal of the crucifixion in 2004's "The Passion of the Christ" and 2005's excited buzz about the Christian parallels in "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" are examples of largely positive religious press. Falling firmly on the opposite end of the spectrum — on the side of atheism — is this year's "The Golden Compass." The film has faced condemnation from the Catholic Order, even culminating in a boycott, and still it is poised to succeed nonetheless.

Tactfully sidestepping much of the book's God-slandering material, the film version of Phillip Pullman's "The Golden Compass" can simply be marked down in the realm of fantastical children's fiction. And in any case, much of the author's atheist notions aren't fully materialized until later in the His Dark Materials trilogy of which "The Golden Compass" is the first, and then continues in "The Subtle Knife" and finally concludes with "The Amber Spyglass."

The story begins and ends with Lyra Belacqua, a tomboyish orphan growing up in the company of scholars and gyptian kids at Oxford's Jordon College. Her whimsical life is changed at the mention of Dust, a mysterious gold particle that falls from a separate universe and is visible only in the colored ribbons of the Northern Lights. This Dust enters a person through his or her daemon — in Lyra's world, a daemon is the animal manifestation of one's soul, which is connected and with him at all times. Lyra's uncle, the scruffy Lord Asriel, seeks to study Dust as the life-giving force of all things, but this proposal undermines the Authority (Pullman's plain title for God) and the doctrines of the Magisterium (a theocracy similar to the Catholic Church). As the film's opening monologue foretells of the trouble to come, "The ruling power, fearing any truth but their own, forbade this power."

Using a truth-telling alethiometer as her guide — a "golden compass" which is propelled by Dust — Lyra embarks on a universe-trotting adventure, meeting prophesizing witches, fierce armored bears and hospitable Texan-style aeronauts, all in her search for answers about Dust and the shadowy actions of the Magisterium.

Visually realized by writer-director Chris Weitz, whose résumé includes a range of works from  "American Pie" to "About A Boy," Pullman's world is brought to the big screen with wonderful effect. Dazzling with gleaming zeppelins and just the right touch of CGI, "The Golden Compass" embraces a greatly enhanced 19th century-type image.

What works further is the all-star cast. Newcomer Dakota Blue Richards plays Lyra's defiant and scheming attitude perfectly, and she is contrasted with Nicole Kidman's ("Stepford Wives") wicked Ms. Coulter, whose involvement with the Magisterium gives her an underlying sinister persona behind her glossy smile, which is reflected even more in her malicious golden monkey daemon. Daniel Craig ("Casino Royale") makes a haughty Lord Asriel, and though his part in "The Golden Compass" feels rushed, the film alludes to his much larger role in the sequels. The same is true for witch queen Serafina Pekkala (Eva Green, "Casino Royale") and aeronaut Lee Scoresby (Sam Elliot, "Hulk"), who provides a humorous touch to the otherwise dark epic.

In the trend of mostly uninspired book to film adaptations, "The Golden Compass" proves moderately done, managing to satisfactorily include more plot threads than Hogwarts would have seen, but lacking the in-depth character development enjoyed in Middle Earth. Yet, in not wishing to sport the same three-hour long run time as in each of the "Lord of the Rings" films, "The Golden Compass" falls at just under two hours while still giving the audience enough information to make it a well-rounded story. Thankfully, fans can look forward to the sequels to — ideally — expand on character pitfalls.

In many ways, "The Golden Compass" can be compared to its fantasy brothers by its overuse of loud, dramatic music and some plot issues. For instance, in the scene where Lyra stops Lord Asriel from drinking poisoned wine by spilling the glass and causing it to break upon the ground, moments later none of the men entering the room take notice of the now-wet carpet and broken glass. As if simply forgotten by the film team, this dramatic moment wrongfully isn't mentioned at all.

Still, "The Golden Compass" is an enjoyable fantasy to lose oneself to, and there seems to be something for every film fan. Go for Ian McKellen's voiced armored bear or Kidman's delightfully evil performance. Or go for its action, to watch the armored bear duel or the children versus Tartars battle. Or go to hear Eva Green ask with a tilt of her head, "Who on this boat was once my lover?" Besides, given the hype, this and its sequels are sure to make their stamp on the fantasy film genre.