Salute to gaming villains

Whether they're naughty or nice, we all have our favorite game characters. But what is so fun about being the goodie-goodie who saves the world all the time and always gets the girl in the end? This week we salute our No. 1 baddies, who kill at will and think nothing of it, striking fear into the eyes of gamers and looking completely badass while doing it.

5. Kicking off the countdown is perhaps my greatest nemesis of the sixth grade, Team Rocket of "Pokémon." Yes, I said it, "Team Rocket." Deep down inside you know it to be true of you, as well. In honor of the two Pokémon installments recently released, respectively titled "Diamond" and "Pearl," I felt it was only appropriate to send some love.

I am uncertain how many times I battled with them, but what I know for sure is that while they may have given me a run for my money, no Rocket man or woman could ever defeat me. Nevertheless, any organization that has a talking Meowth as its evildoing pet deserves respect in my book. With the dynamic duo of Jesse and James on its side, I am surprised Team Rocket hasn't taken over the world by now.

4. Next up is the fantastic foursome from the days when arcades were still en vogue: Inky, Pinky, Blinky and Sue. Who doesn't remember their first time … playing "Pac Man?"

In the game, players would attempt to effectively use and save up power pellets to dispose of the ghastly ghosts, only to be cornered sans power-up. They are crafty little beasts moving at different speeds and with intricate movement patterns.

However, come hell or high water I never miss a cherry, strawberry or any other fruit that appears on the screen. In the immortal words of the "Ghostbusters" theme, "I ain't afraid of no ghost," and my high scores prove it. So bring it Inky, Pinky, Blinky and you too Sue, and I will send your ferocious little eyes back to your home base to charge up for another round.

3. Moving on, we have a man of many devices. By that, I of course mean he has a ton of heavy machinery but also goes by two names, depending on the country. In the land of the rising sun, he is known as "Eggman," but you and I would be more familiar with him as "Dr. Ivo Robotnik."

What is not to love about this gloriously rotund man? He flies around in personal hovercrafts armed with suspended wrecking balls, and he has a fantastic red mustache. He loves getting his hands on the Chaos Emeralds, probably as a personal statement of whose bling reigns supreme, but also as a means of taking over the world. Robotnik is one hard-boiled Eggman not to be trifled with. Get in his way, and you're going to get scrambled. Unless of course you happen to be a tiny blue hedgehog with a bitching Mohawk — then you are probably safe.

2. Sliding into the No. 2 spot is a timeless villain whose dastardly deeds transcend the realm of the gods. He is the yin to Link's yang — the omnipresent Ganondorf. Aptly dubbed "The Dark Lord," Ganondorf's commanding presence in gameplay always incites an adrenaline rush. Whether he is trying to steal the Ocarina of Time or kidnap Princess Zelda again, his character never gets old.

Ganondorf is the boss that you just cannot wait to clash swords with. Battles with him have multiple stages and leave you satisfied when they are over. How pimp is he when he flashes his Triforce mark anyway? I swear he shows it off like a bride-to-be with a couple of carats on her finger, as if to say, "Oh, this? It is nothing really, just the power of the gods." His villainy and power is something that more baddies should aspire to possess. Just make sure that guy with the green tunic is around, in case things get out of hand and we need a hero.

1. Here it is — the moment you have all been waiting for. My pick for No. 1 video game villain comes from the "Final Fantasy" universe. Known as the "One-Winged Angel," Sephiroth wields a sword like a shogun, takes pleasure in impaling the innocent, summons meteors of Armageddon-like scale and burns cities to the ground, all before afternoon tea and Pilates. His utter disregard for human life is so despicable that I could only place him at the top.

I remember the first time I defeated him. It was a three-part battle that took more than half an hour. His second form was perhaps the most memorable for me, as the symphonic "One-Winged Angel" theme boomed ominously in the back, with the Latin phrases used for the lyrics adding a dark tone. Those were the days. In more recent time, we saw him in the film "Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children," causing me to just about lose it when I heard him say "Hisashiburi da na, Cloud" ("It's been a long time, Cloud") with a devilish smirk. To be so malevolent is something I can only dream to achieve.

What we have seen today is a veritable hodgepodge of villainous creatures. Ranging from small-time Poké-thieves and ghostly apparitions to mad-scientists and swordplay-loving sorcerers, I should think I've covered all the basics.

Now that I've amassed such a plentiful knowledge of the interlocking qualities of a villain, I should really get into the business. So from here on out, no more Mr. Nice Tanuki. Pardon me, but I have a world to conquer — one soul at a time.

Justin Voss is a sophomore majoring in Japanese. Does he have what it takes to be the ultimate villain? Tell Tanuki Voss what you think at [email protected].