Will Hoge’s newest album shows talent

After experiencing several delays, Will Hoge's fourth album, The Man Who Killed Love, was finally released in February to the delight of fans. What makes this album stand out from his others is that listeners can fully appreciate the music he is writing through the ease of relating to it. His Southern background mixes smoothly with rock, forming a unique blend most listeners probably aren't familiar with.

Hoge hails from Nashville, Tenn., and has been described as a combination of Bruce Springsteen and the Rolling Stones. He has been around for many years, but up until now, the public hasn't recognized his raw talent. That will all change with the release of The Man Who Killed Love.

During production of this album, there were several changes to the mix of musicians composing the band. In the place of Hoge's normal band, several well-known musicians collaborated on the album. This adds to the album's obvious level of talent.

The only major difference between The Man Who Killed For Love and Hoge's other albums is that the music behind each song is slightly higher-beat, with the addition of trumpets, horns and other brass instruments. This gives each song a bit more jazz, making it catchy and easy to remember. Furthermore, on this album, Hoge adds lyrics that paint the tales of his loves and losses, his happiness and pain. These personal notes add a rich depth to the disc, one that listeners will surely appreciate.

The album opens with the popular single "Pocket Full of Change." It is a fast-paced single based on Hoge's former, rowdy-rocker lifestyle. It is evident with this song alone that the guitar, horns and drums help make the song much more vibrant. The mix of his southern/country vocals with the rock beats make for an odd combination that seems to work very well. The lineup continues with another upbeat song, "Love From a Scar." The transition between these first two songs is amazing in its seamlessness, keeping the energy level going strong.

Other songs with this similar upbeat vein are "The Man Who Killed Love" and "Wait Till Your Daddy Gets Home."

In contrast to the more upbeat songs on the album, Hoge also tones things down a bit with songs like "Woman Be Strong" and "Lover Tonight." "Woman Be Strong" is an extremely sad song about relationship breakups, featuring the lyrics, "I'm sorry that I / I always made you cry / I wish I hadn't cracked the wall / and every time I'd start to think of you / wish I'd been man enough to call."

These are lyrics that most listeners can relate to. What makes this song even more powerful are the raw emotions the singer expresses as he belts out these lyrics and makes listeners feel his pain and agony.

A similar ballad that closes out the album is "Lover Tonight." The song's tender lyrics — "Lover tonight, don't leave / just one more kiss upon my cheek / because its just miles and time between the hearts of yours and mine / lover tonight, don't go" — are supplemented by the piano and violin based music behind the lyrics. The tune tugs at one's heartstrings, and listeners will certainly be able to recognize that.

What makes this album great is that there is a variety of music, which ranges from slow ballads to upbeat, inspirational songs. This is certainly Hoge's most powerful album and through its release, his raw talent will be recognized and appreciated by a much wider audience.

Rating: 4 out of 5