Rascal Flatts' latest mocks country, dumps twangy roots

Many listeners' first experience with Rascal Flatts was with their first single, "Prayin For Daylight," off their self-titled debut released in 2000. It was a good song, but nothing about the rest of the CD was really exceptional. It covered the pop-country genre well, but it was much more pop than country.

On their next two albums, the band progressed as musicians. Although Me and My Gang is a not particularly country-sounding album, fans will be happy, as it is supposedly the band's best album thus far. Unfortunately, the music itself is nothing extraordinary, except for the voice of lead singer Gary LeVox, which is compelling. It has that country twang but with the capabilities of an R&B diva with an incredible range.

The most country-sounding song on the album would have to be "Backwards," which details what would happen if you were to play a country song in reverse: "You get your house back / you get your dog back / you get your best friend Jack back / you get your truck back / you get your hair back / you get your first and second wives back."

Essentially, Rascal Flatts is making fun of the fact that many country songs are about losing things … sort of like their next song, "I Feel Bad." The song is reminiscent of a barn dance — or what I imagine one would be like. It makes you want to jump up and start slapping your knee, which is what true country music should make you do.

Too many of the tracks are slow, delivering a somewhat downbeat musical experience. The title track, however, has a faster tempo, which automatically makes it more enjoyable. The lyrics are actually funny at times, "We're gonna rock this thang / cock this thang / me and my gang. / We got hippies, gypsies, freaks and geeks / high class women in Daisy Duke denim / bangin' on gongs and singing our songs."

"What Hurts the Most" seems to be getting the most attention off the new album. The lyrics are heartfelt and meaningful: You can almost feel the pain they claim to feel. "What hurts the most / was being so close / and havin' so much to say / and watchin' you walk away." It's a typical country song about losing the one you love, but it has great vocals and lyrics, so we'll let it slide.

One of best tracks on the disc would have to be the very first, "Stand." It's an uplifting song about withstanding the trials and tribulations one might face. With some simple harmonies and faster-paced tempo, it is hard not to like.

"Yes I Do" takes an interesting turn on a country song. It starts out sounding like reggae, but once you get to the chorus you remember again that you are in fact listening to Rascal Flatts. It's on the same topic as the majority of their songs: love. What else would you expect? At least this one deviates from the norm.

The rest of the album is nothing special. All of the songs are good, nothing outstanding worth detailing. Any particular song could be released as a single, but no particular song seems to have as much appeal to pop audiences as with their previous albums, except for "Me and My Gang." There is nothing here to make teenyboppers want to go purchase a Rascal Flatts album, but it will definitely be successful in the country scene.

Rating: 3 out of 5