Shopping addictive; much like cigarettes

Hi, my name is Melissa, and I am a shoe-a-holic. Although I may have a certain predisposition to fine vintage Italian heels, I share a common addiction as many people in the United States — shopping. Shopping may not cause any physical ailments, such as alcohol or cigarettes cause, but it shares the mental release that can be associated with both. Assume you have had the most horrific day, and all you want to do is forget it all happened. I know many who go to the bars or get alcohol to drink until they didn't care anymore. I know others that respond to stressful situations by smoking cigarettes. Both circumstances represent common college addictions. We, as students, can even be addicted to our social life and whatever other addictions (such as drinking and drugs) come along with it. After a while, the Thursday through Saturday night drinking stint is tiresome.
Unlike other college addictions, shopping is a more secretive release. You can go shopping by yourself much more easily than you can drink by yourself. In addition, when no one is around, you may not get the advice you need on a new top, but you have the freedom of spending your means with out getting judged or labeled by how much or little you spend. Like Cher in "Clueless," people need to find a sanctuary, a place to gather one's thoughts when they feel "impotent and out of control." An epiphany dawned on Cher — the mall! Clueless Cher could shop all day on Daddy's credit card and not think twice about it. Not all of us are that lucky or that well endowed. But unfortunately those factors do not always control spending habits. In several separate subjects I am studying this semester, most teachers stress that most Americans are in debt, and the numbers are only going up. This is due to factors such as compulsive spending, excessive buying and the now-common credit card. Some attribute this behavior to media. Take, for example, Cher's character in "Clueless." Every girl wanted to be Cher: nice house, fabulous wardrobe, fully loaded Jeep and an unlimited bank account. The reality is that most girls will never even taste the life Cher has. Consequently, it does mean that imitation may be more prevalent because her socio-economic status cannot easily be equaled. Not all girls wanted to be Cher, but it is difficult to argue that the girls that emulated her did not copy her cute phrases and attitudes.
Besides media influence, most shop-a-holics are pacified by the feelings evoked from purchasing an item. Buying a good, whatever it is, gives consumers their power. This power of getting what you want in the consumer world can surpass the negative feelings and stress pertaining to other variables in life that do not provide you with what you want. In short, it is instant gratification. This is a common need for many addicts, no matter what the addiction. The only solution to such a problem is balance. This balance may take the form of limiting credit card holdings, budgeting or making fewer purchases. Whatever path is chosen, the underlying principle to balance is not just having what you want but wanting what you have. Until I identified my shopping as a vice, I never thought people actually struggled with it. I have identified in prior columns that originality is seriously lacking in Madison, and many people choose to identify with a group or stereotype. Not only can we as students 'brand overload' personal style, we can also endanger our finances and personal growth by falling into extremes. I must stress that not every student has addiction issues, but every student is exposed to them.

In considering our shopping choices on campus, we mostly have independent specialty stores where everyone shops. Because of these stores' proximity to thousands of college students (who don't all have cars), they can ridiculously raise the price of novelty items. Although these prices may be unreasonable, most people suck it up and pursue the most convenient method of getting what they want. This is similar to the shopping dynamic of big cities such as New York. Everyone needs stuff, and stores will usually provide these goods on their own terms (regarding price) because of the high demand. As a result of this price strategy, we as students pay more whether we realize it. I urge people to practice some restraint and become more savvy shoppers. I can't believe I used to wonder why most of us dress the same. Uniform dress is a result of both trend and limited choices. While you enjoy your stay at Madison, use your inherent style to buy pieces that you can make your own. As for you shop-a-holics out there, I understand your dilemma. If there was a specialty Italian shoe store in Madison, I would be all over it. Fortunately, I can curb my urge for shoes by appreciating the nice things I have (regardless of cost) without comparing my possessions to others. I guess it is a choice you have to make under stress in the fashion world and in life: Can I stand alone? Can I overcome adversity? I have faith that our generation will eventually attack these questions proactively. Until then, we have to work on balancing our extremes. Fashion has shown to have its extremes in dress, resulting in stereotypes. Fashion shows us its addictive quality with the current rise in shop-a-holics. More abstractly, fashion can take the form of almost anything. When you consider the possibilities, know that fashion is not only representative of symbols through clothing/accessory styles but also representative of whom you are as an individual. Clothing can be fashionable but so can your personality. And what could be more fashionable than being yourself?

Melissa Eisenberg is a sophomore planning to major in journalism. She can be reached for question or comment at [email protected].