Classic cartoon provides laughs, horrible one-liners alike

This past Christmas, we at Nerd Alert were lucky enough to get an amazing present from Santa: "The Legend of Zelda" complete animated-series DVD collection. The nerd-o-meter was off the charts when we began watching the first couple of episodes.

While this may initially seem to be the ideal present for the gamer in your life, the verdict is still out on whether or not it's worth your hard-earned money. As a service to our droves of worldwide fans, we're taking it upon ourselves to take a trip back through memory lane and see if our memories of the show are anywhere close to the reality of an aging cartoon. Game on.

Ryan:

It's not so often that Sundeep and I take a look at a movie, but we felt we couldn't pass up reviewing the original "Legend of Zelda" animated series. This three-DVD set features all 13 episodes of the cartoon that was occasionally shown in place of the "Super Mario Brothers" cartoon.

The set also includes several live-action sequences from the "Mario Bros." show, starring legendary professional wrestler Captain Lou Ablano as Mario. He's worlds ahead of Bob Hoskins in the Mario department, largely thanks to his incredible man-perm and complete inability to act.

For people who are only concerned with bonus features, "The Legend of Zelda" has enough to keep one busy long after the cartoons have been seen. Not only is there an interactive "Legend of Zelda" match game, but there's also a trivia quiz and downloadable character-sketch gallery. These sweet extras round out an otherwise solid package of quality Zelda cartoon action.

Sundeep:

In the tradition of cartoons of its era like "Captain Planet," "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" and "Ghostbusters," the "Legend of Zelda" series plays on action-packed adventure and Link's classic one-liner, "Well, excuuuuuuuuuse me."

The cartoon highlights Link's adventures through the kingdom of Hyrule while battling the evil pig-sorcerer Ganon, and his constant quest to land a kiss from the princess Zelda. The series follows the traditional version of the "Legend of Zelda" video game, with Link blasting opponents with a sword that shoots pink blasts, usually accompanied by Princess Zelda with a bow. "The Legend of Zelda" is 10 different kinds of lame.

Ryan:

Man, this show rules on so many levels. Link is a womanizing badass with a heart of pure gold, constantly trying to get play from Princess Zelda. Every single time Link is about to score a kiss from Zelda, something happens to put an end to it all. An octorock spitting at Link and Zelda as they are about to kiss? Check. Link getting caught about to go fishing and then resorting to asking for a kiss? Check. An ultra-sketchy salesman named Sleazenose? Double check.

Despite what some naysayers may have you believe, "The Legend of Zelda" is easily the best video game-based cartoon I can recall. Whenever Link isn't macking on Zelda or any other gorgeous Hyrulian babes, he's zapping countless Stalfos and Moblins and thwarting Ganon's evil plans. Yeah, it's kind of lame that he usually resorts to the hokey pink blasts from the Master Sword, but he proves his versatility in some episodes. In one of the more intense battles of the entire series, Link and Zelda take down Ganon and his evil forces with beehives and boxes filled with ants … sweet, right? Sleazenose saying, "Owww … ants!" is better than anything I've seen in modern cinema. Anyone who tries to deny the incredible awesomeness that is "The Legend of Zelda" is clearly out of his or her mind … right, Sundeep?

Sundeep:

If you buy this, I will hit you. No joke. This could arguably be the worst piece of animation ever, and it's no surprise other cartoons easily outpaced it in its time. Unusually enough, I do remember enjoying the cartoon when I was younger … but I'm not really sure why.

The series is brainless and, from episode to episode, you know what is going to happen. Allow me to map the plot: 1) Link and Zelda enter an altercation with Ganon, sometimes being pursued for the Triforce of Wisdom or other times in pursuit of the Triforce of Power; 2) Link and Zelda fight beyond the aforementioned altercation and through one or two plot twists; 3) Zelda does not end up kissing Link.

Basically, there's no character development, not that I really expected any. Link's a cocky teenager and Zelda's a girly girl, and that remains true throughout.

What's worse is the way I compare the Link of the animated series and the Link of the Ocarina of Time and the upcoming Twilight Princess. He's certainly older, darker and all-in-all considerably more entertaining. Animated-series Link: not so much.

Ryan:

Sundeep, there's no way you can completely hate on this cartoon. The one episode where the Moblins revolt on Ganon and then strike on Hyrule castle was clearly Peter Jackson's inspiration for the epic battles of the "Lord of the Rings" series — the resemblance is undeniable.

So maybe Link isn't the dark, brooding adventurer that everyone seems to have a crush on. Big deal. This Link is lazy, constantly in search of booty, and I honestly started to warm up to the whole "Excuuuuuuuuse me!" line after a while.

This isn't a perfect cartoon by any means — the plot does leave something to be desired. But taken as a whole, this series delivers all of the swashbuckling action I could've hoped for. For a measly 20 bucks, it's hard to say this isn't worth it.

Sundeep:

But, still, you have to admit this Link is just a big goof. He's just hard to relate to without a back story. Of course, the animated series is probably not supposed to be any great work of art, but it still left me wholly unsatisfied and wanting to play Zelda rather than watch it.

I mean, what would the world really be like if Link was viewed as a pushover adventurer? Scary.

Other than for nostalgic value, this particular animated series is really not worth any cash one might shell out. Save up, kids. "Twilight Princess" comes out in spring 2006.

Ryan ([email protected]) and Sundeep ([email protected]) are hopelessly addicted to all things video game. Sundeep is currently playing "World of Warcraft" … apparently the game never ends … but no one told Sundeep. Ryan has been busying himself with "Ratchet: Deadlocked" and "Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones."