Sean Paul creates average album

Sean Paul — the pioneer of reggae dancehall music. When you think of him, you automatically think of memorable melodies and lewd lyrics that come at you so fast you have to do a double take.

This is what made Sean Paul's second album Dutty Rock such a hit. His first album, Stage One, was released in 1999 and was comprised of all dancehall songs, quite different from the mix of dancehall, reggae and hip-hop he now dispenses. "Gimme The Light," his first single from Dutty Rock, quickly rose on the charts, as did "Get Busy" and "Like Glue."

Paul recently dropped his third album, The Trinity, though it hasn't gotten as much press as his previous works. "We Be Burnin" is the first single off Trinity, and although it didn't become a No. 1 hit like his previous singles, it's actually quite good. It has a simple, but catchy, melody and the requisite body-grinding dance beat. So, what prevented it from reaching the top spots on the charts? Could it be that reggae dancehall music is on its way out? Maybe Mr. Paul's days are limited.

The album starts off with "Head Into the Zone." The beginning of the song may cause listeners to start dancing in their seats, but after about 40 seconds its charm wears off. The lyrics make their usual nods to some sort of alcohol — Smirnoff Ice in this case — and women who, according to Paul, "dance 'pon the floor make me see you anatomy."

Up next is "Send it On." Though this song could easily be the next big thing to hit clubs, the fact that one can actually enjoy the melody and sort of understand what Paul is saying is actually a bit distracting. This track is basically about — big shocker — women.

Paul changes it up a bit on "Yardie Bone," which features Wayne Marshall. This song differs drastically from most of the album because it sounds like a throwback to true reggae music, instead of a total infusion of dancehall beats. Marshall's soothing voice is a welcome break to the harsher tones that Paul usually embraces. The song is still danceable and is accompanied with the usual vulgar and often unbelievable lyrics. This time Paul really goes all out, saying, "Give her the length and give her the strength because it hard like a stone." Just because Dutty Rock went double platinum doesn't mean you can get cocky … does it?

"Never Gonna Be The Same" changes pace a bit from the previous songs of The Trinity. It is dedicated to Paul's friend Daddigon, who was shot in the streets of Kingston, Jamaica earlier this year. A quote on Paul's website expresses his intentions with this song: "One day I tried to just take that sadness and all that energy and express it. So I took a couple weeks to sit down and write that tribute song for Daddigon. I mention some other people too. … That song is basically for all the people we've lost. And it's saying, 'We gonna miss your legacy — all of y'all. But we'll keep burning up the flame in your memory. Cause you weren't here for nothing. Nobody's gonna take nuttin' from you.'"

This song is a welcome change from the rest of the album, not just because Paul slows it down, but also because it actually has some emotion behind it rather than being just a dance track.

Overall, The Trinity just isn't as good as its predecessor, Dutty Rock. It has the rap, the dance beats and reggae sound, but it lacks some sort of pop element necessary for radio play. Listening to a couple songs at a time is OK, but the album as a whole tends to drag.

Grade: C