Fall season brings influx in gaming world; Nerd Alert picks best

The recent wave of icy chills in the air makes it perfectly clear to everyone that fall is upon them. Along with the havoc that almost always is Halloween in Madison and the tragedy that is almost every Packer game so far, comes another, maybe unexpected thing — a plethora of video games.

With Christmas shopping only a month or two away, companies are releasing their finest digital works for gamers to salivate over. The gaming giants are back with a new "Tony Hawk" title, a new "Grand Theft Auto" and yet another "Mega Man Battle Network" (enough already, please.) But how are gamers to see through the clutter of this fall's gaming releases and find the true gems? That's where we come in. This week Nerd Alert outlines our four picks for games to watch out for this fall. While these only represent a minute sampling of the many games coming out, they are the titles we feel will be receiving the most acclaim for the next few months.

Sundeep: "Star Wars Battlefront II"

Set to release Nov. 1, "Star Wars Battlefront II" is the sequel to 2004's success, which allowed players to partake in any of the massive battles from the "Star Wars" universe. The game's original engine was based around another earlier success, EA Games' "Battlefield 1942."

The game system was made famous for its ability to mix both strategy and first-person shooter genres as well as a very sturdy recreation of the World War II environment. Appropriately, the newest "Battlefront," which spans the period of all six "Star Wars" movies, also follows "Battlefield 2," which was released in June. "Star Wars Battlefront II" will incorporate several new features including the ability to play as Jedi, space combat and several new planets. Lightsaber-work is not done by just anyone though, since Darth Vader, Yoda and several others will be present throughout the game.

With the addition of space combat, players will be able to pilot any number of "Star Wars" spacecraft whether it be the Jedi Starfighter, the Droid Starfighter or the A-Wing.

Ryan: "Shadow of the Colossus"

In an era of games where drawn out cinematic sequences dominate over gameplay and the line between movies and games is further blurred with each major release, "Shadow of the Colossus" is a rare gem. While the game was already released this past week, it's almost certainly going to be the main title everyone is clamoring for as Christmas rolls around. What "Colossus" offers is a wide, flowing countryside occupied by 16 giant Colossi — and that's really it.

The title promises to deliver "creatures the size of mountains," all of whom must be defeated over the course of the game. What really differentiates "Shadow of Colossus" from other games in the market is the overall simplicity of the experience. Gamers are given full access to all of the game's weapons and features at the beginning, never really learning any new skills along the way. The game leaves players to learn to use these same abilities in different, creative ways as they progress through the title.

Though this may seem to be a bit of a gamble, people need to keep in mind that "Colossus" comes from the same great minds that produced one of the more gorgeous, emotional games to be released in the past few years — "Ico." With a resume like that, it's hard to bet against the up-and-coming developer.

Sundeep: "Perfect Dark Zero"

It's been five years since "Perfect Dark" first came on the scene with a first person shooter that built on the successes of its predecessor Bond game, "GoldenEye 007," and introduced new elements through upped graphics, better weapons and a promising storyline. Originally created for the Nintendo 64, the game bombed quite horribly on Nintendo's GameBoy Color. However, "Perfect Dark Zero," slated to release on the Xbox 360 (originally set for Nintendo's GameCube), may reinvent the game's original success.

The newer Microsoft approach, follows the same approach Warner Bros. took when attempting to reinvent the Batman line with Batman Begins — start from the beginning. "Perfect Dark Zero" will focus on lead character Joanna Dark's history before joining the government's Carrington Institute in the distant future, and the ensuing alien battle. Fans may worry over how "Perfect Dark Zero" will compare to "Halo 3," since they share similar features and sci-fi plots.

Still, "Perfect Dark Zero" will host 25 weapons, an extremely competitive multiplayer, and graphics to boot thanks to the 360's newer graphics engine.

Ryan: "MGS 3: Subsistence"

Yes, another "Metal Gear Solid." Hideo Kojima unleashes Snake yet again on gamers worldwide, this time with some interesting modifications. Basically this is the same game released last fall. This is "Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater," but a remix of sorts.

This time around the game features a brand new camera system, not the same top-down camera fans of the series are familiar with. For many, this change comes with a sigh of relief — many gamers' main gripe with the series was the camera.

But perhaps the most interesting part of "Subsistence" comes in the form of a new online mode. For the first time ever, gamers can play "Metal Gear Solid" online in large multiplayer competitions. While this doesn't sound like anything monumental, the "Metal Gear Solid" series adds a new twist to online matches, allowing one player to play Snake to a team of competing players' soldiers. After the positive reaction to "Splinter Cell's" online mode and its creative stealth death match, it's almost certain that "Subsistence" will be selling like hotcakes this fall.

Add all of these new features to a demo theater in which players can watch all of the cut-scenes from the game, plus the option to play the two original "Metal Gear" titles for the MSX and you've got a formula for a "Solid" experience. And yes, that was a horrendous pun.

Ryan ([email protected]) and Sundeep ([email protected]) are hopelessly addicted to video games. Sundeep has been playing "Warcraft III" with his roommates: they are getting insanely good … too good. Ryan just got "The Warriors" and "Shadow of the Colossus" in the mail and can't wait for this weekend.

Versus: Turok vs. Paperboy

Paperboy

Hailing from suburbia, Paperboy has dodged everything from construction workers to breakdancers on his weekly route to make the grand delivery at your doorstep. A member of an elite tactical force during the Gulf War, Paperboy earned his stripes on the battlefield, thus becoming Paperman (not to be confused with a Mega Man villain). His skills include throwing newspapers, good BMX skills and close-quarters combat … with newspapers.

Turok

While some might scoff at the idea of a Native American who travels through foggy jungles to fight dinosaurs, Turok knows better. Whether it be dinosaur, alien, robot, some sort of dinosaur-alien or the dreaded dinosaur-alien-robot amalgamation, Turok handles them all with his bow and knife. Turok owns anything that moves. When not fighting various creatures and creature combinations, Turok enjoys scrapbooking with a tall cup of Colombian coffee.

Verdict

On his daily paper route, Paperboy came across an unusual obstacle. Turok loosed an arrow at Paperboy, whom he mistook for a moving boy-bike-paper creature. However, Paperboy had just released one of his well-delivered newspapers, which intercepted the oncoming bolt. Paperboy immediately began to pelt Turok with papers as he circled the mighty hunter.

Suddenly, Paperboy nailed a curb, wiping out. Turok capitalized on this mistake, unsheathing his knife and slowly stalking his prey. Paperboy, spry as ever, reaches for one last paper and deftly launches it at the hunter's skull. Stunned, Turok took a step back into a manhole, falling to certain doom.

Winner: Paperboy