Carter Little not lacking in ability

For centuries, names have been indicative of an individual’s profession or a specific character trait. In the Middle Ages, chances are William Baker was, in fact, a baker and John Thatcher more than likely patched roofs. On “Sex and the City,” Carrie Bradshaw’s charismatic and larger-then-life love interest was appropriately named Mr. Big. Juliet may have asked, “What’s in a name?,” but in many cases, a name describes a person. Decidedly contrary to this is Carter Little, a rising singer whose talent and potential for greatness are in no way miniscule.

As the son of a professional opera singer, Little’s past 28 years have been characterized by several moves, including to Chicago, the Carolinas, Maine, London and New York. In 2000, he moved from New York to Nashville, where he joined his brother as co-frontman of the critically acclaimed band Saddlesong. The group experienced quick success, headlining shows at various large venues. In 2003, Saddlesong decided to split and the brothers separated to pursue individual projects. From there, Carter Little only got bigger.

Joining the likes of John Mayer, Damien Rice and Elliot Smith, Little enters the acoustic singer/songwriter scene offering his own unique voice and a refreshingly honest approach to lyrics. With his 2005 debut, Dare To Be Small, Little draws from the material presented by existing acoustic musicians but provides his own spin to the genre, replacing mandolins and fiddles with loops and analog synths. Using “moody and spacious production techniques” and drawing from local flavors representative of the diverse places he has lived, Little gives audiences a blend of “cinematic lyrics and winding melodies” that uniquely set him apart as a musician.

Little, often photographed wearing dark, thick-rimmed glasses and looking remarkably like Buddy Holly, has a voice that is hard to classify. Its unusual characteristics remind listeners of Ben Folds or Greig Nori of Treble Charger on some tracks but reflect an almost country twang on others. The singer’s interesting vocal quality is so enjoyably quirky that it demands a second listen … and a third, fourth and fifth.

Dare To Be Small exhibits Little’s innate knack for songwriting. Already being compared to the “poetic musings” of Wilco and Elliot Smith, his lyrics are what set Little apart. Writing and singing original songs about the common themes of lost life and loves, Little’s 11 tracks on the album demonstrate “… a keen sense of American storytelling,” according to Rachel A. Patton of No Depression.

On “Delicate,” Little insightfully sings of a woman’s inward struggle, “Cause she’s delicate / She won’t tell you that / The gloss is coming off of her kiss.” Throughout the album, the soft sounds of songs like “Delicate” are contrasted with the upbeat melody and witty words of songs like “Outside Looking In.” “Shaking on the corner with my coat on / Cursing, holy-helling at the wind / All the girls that I adore / Are heating up the top floor / I’m outside looking in.”

Little’s understanding of life and love are reflected by his clever lyrics and supplemented by engaging melodies, making him a pleasure to listen to. With sounds that could easily be set as background music for a WB drama series, Carter Little possesses a depth and intelligence that supports a strong entrance into the music scene as a solo artist.

With the recent release of Dare To Be Small, the February online release of the video for “Kill My Darling” (one of the album’s best songs) and a 2004 touring stint with Richard Buckner, Vic Chesnutt and Mindy Smith, Little has achieved a sizable amount of success in a short time. Currently on a national tour in support of his debut record release, Carter Little is proving in a big way that his name is no indication of his talent.

For more information, check out www.carterlittle.net.

Grade: A