Lucky Boys Confusion playing Club 770

The high energy, infectious beats and undeniable charisma of punk rock band Lucky Boys Confusion returns to Madison with a much-anticipated performance at Club 770 in Union South tonight. The Chicago-based band, comparable to the sounds of Fall Out Boy, Plain White Ts and Sugarcult, has two full-length albums and an extensive list of tour dates under its belt. They are also currently touring the Midwest to the delight of old and new fans alike.

Lucky Boys Confusion formed in 1997 when frontman/singer/songwriter Stubhy and guitarist/singer/co-songwriter Adam Krier were in their late teens. After making two EPs, the band, which also includes guitarist Joe Sell, bassist Jason Schultejann and drummer Ryan Fergus, released their 2001 debut album Throwing the Game. Characterized by a mix of reggae, ska, punk rock and a little rap, the band’s first full-length CD was well received. To promote the album, Lucky Boys Confusion completed a 250-plus show touring stint, racking up enough trials, triumphs and anecdotes for a second album.

Commitment, released in 2003, reflects the experiences of the band on the road. Boasting a more mature and developed sound, Lucky Boys Confusion’s sophomore effort elaborates on the high-strung energy of their previous record. Sublime’s Michael Miguel Happoldt produced the second album and quickly earned the respect of the band members. Acting as a sort of big brother to the musicians, Happoldt’s constructive criticism and structured direction honed the songwriting of the band and accurately encompassed Lucky Boys Confusion’s vibe as a whole.

Reflecting the title of their second album, the members of the band are incredibly committed to their jobs as musicians. Stubhy said, “It’s the five of us against the world. Us and our fans. No matter how broke we have been, or how frustrated, we have always believed in ourselves. We’ll never fucking give up.”

This devotion to the music as well as each other has made Lucky Boys Confusion an incredibly successful group. Taking a humble “do-it-yourself” approach, the band adopted a sort of grassroots tactic to market itself.

The nearly constant touring and conscious effort to be accessible to their audiences has led to the development of an extremely loyal fan base that has yet to falter in its devotion to the energetic and talented band.

“I’m always amazed to see these kids turning up to see us play live,” said Stubhy. “It still thrills me that I write a song and it connects with someone enough that they will go out and spend their hard-earned dollars on a Lucky Boys Confusion CD. You never get over that.”

When listening to the group’s edgy beats, catchy melodies and honest lyrics, one gets the impression that the band members truly love everything about the music scene. The group is not afraid to learn from and collaborate with other artists. This is best exemplified in the song “Hey Driver” off of Commitment. Described as a ” … road song if there ever was one,” Lucky Boys Confusion called upon the help of seasoned bands like Lit, Yellowcard, Long Beach Dub All-Stars and Get Over It to give the song “tight gang vocals.” The camaraderie displayed on this song encompasses the band’s fun-natured, “we’re all friends here” vibe that is so clearly shown at live performances and in the personalities of the five band members.

Lucky Boys Confusion is now a seasoned group, having toured with a variety of artists like Something Corporate, Juliana Theory and the Black Eyed Peas, as well as appearing on the Vans Warped Tour. The electric talent of the band will appear with fellow Chicago group The Dog and Everything, as well as the rockers of Sneaker 2 Bombs. Performing at Union South at 8 p.m., tickets are $10 and are available at the Union Theater Box Office.