Release shows subtle strengths, talent

Sometimes your biggest strength is knowing your true weakness. Sometimes less is more. And sometimes, to make a truly epic rock album you have to find the subtle balance between going big and scaling back. While at times ambitious and other times subdued, the Manchester rock trio Doves crafts an intelligent and somewhat mature sound in their fourth studio album, Some Cities. Teetering between eclectic, musically conscious and straight up rocking (if it is indeed possible to teeter between three things), Doves finds that elusive balance that rock bands, few and far between, strive for their whole careers.

The most striking thing about Doves is they do not try to be something they aren’t. In an industry saturated with posers and wannabes it becomes too far too easy to simply try to hard. Doves forces nothing. Like Michael Jordan, Doves’ music elicits the response, “They make this look easy.”

Doves are not overly ambitious. If the world has learned anything from Mary Shelley’s “Frankenstein,” it is that to be overly ambitious will inevitably lead to failure. In the case of Doves, they took this message to heart and showcase it in their music. However, it is unfair to claim that their music lacks ambition all together. Most songs are obviously self-conscious and Doves’ very style is original in itself. Their music stands out and has a strong degree of listen-ability — a sure tell sign of ambition. An ironic twist to the album is that the last song is entitled, “Ambition.” This proves how self-aware Doves is of what they are doing. There is nothing haphazard to their sound, and their latest album exemplifies a musician striving to make an industry shattering record. You can feel Doves’ dedication and passion in every song on the album, from start to finish.

Oddly enough, no song specifically stands out as the album’s hands-down winner. The first six songs could all very well be singles.

Very few albums released in recent years fit the exact definition of an album. Most records are more of a collection of songs, good or bad, but there is nothing truly cohesive about them. Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon is the classic example of a true ‘album.’ Each song flows seamlessly into the next and although each track sounds different, there is a certain quality that sounds like this collection of songs belongs together in this specific order. Doves has created an ‘album’ in its truest sense. This is not just a collection of good songs, but rather, good songs with a purpose and order to them.

An attractive element to Doves music is their guitar reverb effect. This effect adds a dreamy, almost eerie quality to their songs. If anything, it gives each track a sense of depth. There is something going on in each song other than a catchy hook and sharp guitar riffs. Doves’ music is interesting and complicated. Some songs that illustrate this are, “Black and White Town,” and “Snowden.”

Doves however, is not the perfect band. Front man Jimi Goodwin struggles in some songs. His voice becomes too droning and looses its punch in songs like, “Ambition” and “Someday Soon.”

This is not an album that you will listen to one time. It will grow on you and will quickly take the place of a different, less addictive, album in your musical rotation. Sadly, Doves hasn’t gained the recognition that facilitates international admiration, but that too will soon change. They are taking part in the newly developing Woodstock of the 2000s, Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival in Indio, California. Bands like The Flaming Lips, The Pixies, Wilco and Radiohead have all played at Coachella at some point in their respected careers. This doesn’t necessarily grant Doves full access to superstardom like the aforementioned bands, but it does give them a sense of credibility to be included in a festival that is as respected and revered as Coachella.

Doves has all the ingredients to be the next big thing. They have the sound, the talent, a huge upcoming gig, and most importantly, a killer fourth album. In a way though, Doves success depends somewhat on luck. There are such a slew of good bands coming out of the folds in England right now that it is almost a crapshoot as to which will become popular in America. Regardless, Doves has just a good of a chance as anyone.

Grade: A