Exploring Manhattan’s top shops, Chicago’s hot clubs

The time between Thanksgiving to New Years is Gato’s favorite time of year, snowfall or not. Rufino, Gato’s old roommate who worked at Bergdorf Goodman, got so elated at holiday time that he would run down Bergenline Avenue singing “These are a few of my favorite things,” not afraid of macho Cubans giving him funky looks.

Gato is more insecure about his masculinity. Rest assured, he keeps a miniature Julie Andrews and R Kelly running arm-in-arm down snow-filled streets singing carols and tossing out free, black Visa cards.

Two things that make us forget Turkey-day family dysfunction faster than 15 long island iced teas: it’s the biggest weekend for nightclubs and the biggest day for holiday shopping. Gato is here to bring you tips in both arenas.

As Gato’s version of the Seven Habits of Highly Effective People advises, shopping is always first.

All through the season, Gato will be talking holiday-shopping tips. Since Gato is trying to help the global community this weekend, Gato is focusing on his favorite things in New York and clubbing in Chicago. Next week, Gato will feature Chicago boutique shopping, and Wisconsin stars will come closer to the time people begin growing aneurisms from piped-in Christmas music. For now, let’s get off at the Prince Street subway stop and walk toward Orchard Street, at least in our minds, (unfortunately we can’t stop at Balthazar Bakery).

Manhattan’s lower east side has long lost claim as a mecca of next-big-thing living to Brooklyn, but along with Williamsburg, it’s the capital of up-and-coming designers. Where are we going for Gato’s five New York favorites for outstanding gifts? C. Ronson at 239 Mulberry St. (www.cronson.com), Sissy Accessories at 235 Lafayette St., (212.226.4467), American Apparel at 712 Braodway (www.americanapparel.net), Rebecca-A, American Apparel (sold at a Soho kiosk or at www.rebecca-a.com), Indomix at 232 Mulberry St. (212.334.6356) and Catherine Malandrino at 468 Broome St. (212.925.7081). All are in the same five-block radius. Most lines are also available at Shopbop.com.

C. Ronson is a small label housed under the genius Roc-a-wear empire, but like all things Jay-Z, and in the words of rapper Shyne-Po, “it lets the indies rock and do their thing.”

Charlotte Ronson and brother DJ Mark Ronson are the offspring of Mick Jones from Foreigner. As hip-hop socialites, they are everything the Hilton sisters aren’t — hardworking, trendsetting, talented, charitable and part of the life and times of Sean Carter.

This season’s C.Ronson dresses mix the elegance of de caché girls dancing salsa at Jimmy’s Bronx Café with the soft cotton wear of Curtis Blow “The Breaks” era jumpers. Buy one for your chica, and when she wears it, you’ll want to grab her hand and head straight for the roller rink, your heart singing Evelyn Champagne King’s “Ohh, You Make My Love Come Down.”

Gato wants to mention, with a big junior-high blush on his face, that C.Ronson also has ultra-cute girls breakdancing in short skirts and print panties.

For the more down-to-earth in your life, Rebecca-A features simple, broken-in cotton shirts with dreamy to derisive sayings. “Disgruntled ballerina” and “Stop staring at my unbelievable cuteness” are two of the more famous in the line. Gato’s favorite is “Write I love you on 100 post-cards and throw them at people.”

Sissy Accessories bucks the trend of mortgage/down payment-priced handbags, but they are no less original and fun. Much of the Sissy line is made with earth-friendly, regenerated leather. Many break away from traditional rectangular shapes that recall the shapes of minimalist painter Ellsworth Kelly (Google him to get an idea).

For price-conscious gifts, Sissy owner and designer Sylvia Pogginoni recommends her $29 mini-handbag key chains made from scraps of Gucci and Prada leather. Gato personally loves the exclusive Sissy bag, starting at $120, perfect for carting documents to work and your Saturday style agenda to yoga class.

Gato loves the Gap commercials with Sarah Jessica Parker, unfortunately, Gato divorced Gap a while ago for American Apparel. Made in a completely non-sweatshop environment in Los Angeles, the line is cleaner and crisper than Gap. The cotton is of a higher quality, and the bright colors aren’t hues that make you look like your junior high English teacher Jeff on casual Friday. It will make you look like his absolutely luscious lover who is an advertising account executive for Bombay Safire Gin.

Indomix is a fascinating shop that honors the growing hybridization of Indian culture in the United Kingdom and now in the United States. All the designers in the shop are from South Asia and work between a modern and traditional vernacular. “Our idea was to delver women a fashion culture that isn’t South Asian or completely American,” owner Salima said of her vision.

Catherine Malandrino continues the theme of romance that has dominated this year’s fall line. Her clothes move between the still frames of Fellini movies, early Martin Scorsese, and Dr. Zhivago remade with an Amtrak ride from NYC to LA. Dips and cuts exaggerate the drama of an ambitious woman’s body as she moves through a room saying, “I am someone to reckon with!”

So now we catch a flight from LaGuardia to Chicago’s O’Hare for some hardcore clubbing. Before boozing, his honor Mayor Richard Daley, who knows how to tie a few on himself, requires that you stop and fill up at diners like Golden Nugget, Zephyr or Huck Fin Doughnuts.

Gato always starts cocktails at La Bruqueña with secret recipe pear martinis for $4.50 then moves on to Ybar. Y is the sister lounge of Soundbar, Chicago’s standard bearer for a super club for about a year; something like New York’s Palladium back in the day.

Ybar has been David Schwimmer’s regular hang-out the past year as he has been dedicating much time to his Looking Glass Theater Company in Chicago. Y is one large chill-out lounge. Y is arranged perfectly for groups, as each seating area is like a mini-VIP huddle. Social mergers and acquisitions happen near fireplaces on square, soft créme chairs, spaced perfectly so conversations and DJs don’t compete with each other.

Pound for soul by the pound, Gato still thinks Billy Dec and the guys at RockIt productions deliver the best night out. Dec, who has a reality show about a nightclub opening in the works, throws parties at his Rockit Ranch and LePassage that make everyone feel celebrity-icous.

Tuman’s Alcohol Abuse Center wears the crown of Chicago’s best bar as awarded by Rolling Stone Magazine. In Chi-town, mixed cocktails for $3.50 and microbrews for $3 are as hard to find as neighborhoods without cement-block condominiums. That price, Tuman’s still has. Although back in its halcyon dive hangout days for Chicago’s indie-rock elite, gin and tonic was $2.50. Despite fierce remodeling, mariachi music still shares the jukebox with hardcore punk, and Nelson Algren “City on the Make” era Old Style drinkers share conversation with Old Style fans decked in Urban Outfitters.

To go clubbing in Chicago:

La Bruqueña 2726 W. Division St. 773.276.2915

Y 224 W. Ontario, Chicago 312.274.1880

Soundbar 226 W. Ontario 312.787.4480

Events at Rockitranch and Rockit productions www.rockitranch.com

Tuman’s 2159 W. Chicago Ave. 773.782.1400

Next Week: Gato goes shopping in Chicago, visits Sammy Sosa’s and the Chicago Cub’s secret breakfast hangout, and has tea with Oprah’s hairstylist Shane Talbott.