Creative light shines on ‘Shadows’

Harmonious yet edgy, Joseph Arthur's new album, Our Shadows Will Remain, doesn't fall into a single genre, but combines various genres to create an inspirational album.

A native of Akron, OH, Arthur has released four albums to date through several different record labels across the country. While he went relatively unknown after the release of his first few albums, he found critical acclaim with his third album, Redemption's Son, released last year.

Although he didn't gain much recognition for his first album, his first E.P, Vacancy, released in 1999, was nominated for the Best Recording Package Grammy. He has toured with the likes of Ben Harper and Gomez around Europe and North America. After switching record labels twice, on his newly released album, Our Shadows Will Remain, he chose to stay with Vector Records.

After Redemption's Son was released, he left his home in Manhattan, New York, putting many of his belonging in storage, and, armed with only a guitar, a few clothes and some demos of songs, he went to New Orleans. After eight weeks of hard work and intense introspection, Arthur headed back to New York City and signed with Vector Records, having two albums fully written.

This new album shows the growth of Arthur and his work. The songs are melodious and powerful, demanding indulgence in the emotions that he puts forth with each and every song. Each song has its own creative flow, some reminiscent of the '80s, others suggestive of a time when harder rock was popular. He takes his own edge and applies it to styles of the past, and, in the end, begins to create a new one for the future.

The song "Even Tho" begins with a forceful, simple beat, like one that would begin a Phil Collins song. Arthur's voice is tame and high pitched as the music begins to flourish more. The guitar is subtle and sits in the background as the beats of the drums dominate with Arthur's voice. Violins can be heard to complement the tone and pitch of Arthur's voice as he sings "To find where we belong/ Our Shadows will remain even after we are gone." Piano joins the chorus of voices that sings with Arthur, adding to the harmony that the violin has been leading. The guitar sometimes picks up, becoming a little harder and louder, but never for very long once Arthur begins to sing again.

In "A Smile that Explodes" the guitar is much more prominent, gracefully lulling the listener in through the subtle plucking of strings. Piano keys are sporadically heard, high notes that compliment the lower tones of the guitar and Arthur's soft voice. A woman's voice joins in on the chorus singing "A smile that explodes/I could never understand," high pitched, matching the piano and complimenting Arthur's melancholy voice. This song is slow, thought provoking and subtle. It is more like the songs that Arthur released on previous albums, without a lot of instrumentals and more concentration on the singing and intricate guitar work.

The song "Stumble and Pain" begins with rock-like guitar pounding and an electric guitar playing on and off throughout the song. Arthur's voice has been synthesized, sounding as though he is on a mountaintop, where his singing is echoed throughout, giving his voice a very trippy sound. The guitar is simple but joins with his voice as he sings melodiously and painfully. His voice sounds full of emotion as he sings, "And you let it go with the greatest ease/ cause something always stays the same." The song has complex sounds added by the synthesizer, but it gives the song an intense feeling, with the beat playing dominantly in the background. A violin is played in the background as well, a few high, ominous notes, as harsh sound effects come to the front.

The album is certainly a creative achievement for Arthur with the variety of sounds coming together to create a feeling of intense work. Arthur took time to make this album something unlike any other and the work shows, each song with its own personality coming together, maybe not fluidly, but as one entity.

I give him an A.