Gov’t Mule recovering with new record, tour

Be prepared. When Gov’t Mule rolls into Madison this Saturday, the lakes will part and a cool, glowing radiance will emit from the Capitol. Be prepared, as the roof of the Barrymore may blow off.

With a new studio album in stores entitled Deja Voodoo, Gov’t Mule is back with a rekindled, mysterious, ready-to-rock, no-bull attitude. The new album is the band’s first studio attempt since the death of original bassist Allen Woody, as well as the first album with new band members Andy Hess and Danny Louis, on bass and keyboards respectively.

Deja Voodoo fully encompasses the band’s heavy-hitting rock style while simultaneously showcasing a new sense of innovative songwriting explorations. From the mean opening riffs of “Bad Man Walking” one can tell this band is serious. “Perfect Shelter” is another rocker that guitarist/singer/songwriter Warren Haynes explains is about “realizing that we’re not immune to the bullshit of life.” “Slackjaw Jezebel,” with its experimental, bulldozing bass lines, and “Lola Leave Your Light On,” a dirty rock n’ roller reminiscent of Zeppelin or the Who, provide even more depth to the album. Deja Voodoo even packs some political punch in “Mr. Man,” an anti-Bush number that seems to hit home harder now that the election results are in.

All songs on the album were written by Haynes and produced by Michael Barbiero, the producer for the Mule’s three previous albums. However, this album was produced first and then taken out onto the road, as opposed to previous albums that were put together from songs already in rotation. While the album seems to take on a hard-rocking, badass feel to it, Haynes admits that these songs were written as a celebration of life.

After losing Woody in August, 2000 the mourning band held a “One For Woody” concert in New York, followed by the release of The Deep End, which involved participation from over 30 of the best bass players in the world, including John Entwistle (The Who), Mike Gordon (Phish), Les Claypool (Primus), Bootsy Collins (P-Funk), Chris Squire (Yes), Larry Graham (Sly and The Family Stone, Prince), among many others. However, Haynes and drummer Matt Abts felt that Hess was the man for the job. Soon after, Danny Louis was chosen to join in on keys and the final roster was set.

“It’s been wonderful … these guys are doing a great job,” said Haynes in reference to Hess and Louis. Haynes, who also slays his Southern-tinged axe for the likes of the Allman Brothers Band, the Dead and Phil Lesh and Friends, acknowledges Gov’t Mule as his priority.

“It’s an honor to be with [the Allmans and the Dead], it’s great being part of that scene, [but] Gov’t Mule is our own thing, we built it from the ground up, it’s more personal.” Indeed the Mule is more than just personal — it is Hayne’s rocking little monster and it will swallow you up.

The Mule last played in Madison on April 14, 2000, so the group knows it owes the Barrymore a little love. Riding high off an energetic Halloween show in Virginia, the band moves through the Midwest and out to the Northwest for a string of fall shows, before returning to New York City for Warren’s Christmas Jam and New Year’s Eve at the Beacon Theater. For more information, check out Gov’t Mule’s website, www.mule.net.