Humorous monster mash

Summer blockbusters have been the targets of criticism due to often being more about effects than about substance. One such movie would be this summer’s “Van Helsing,” starring Hugh Jackman (“X-Men”). If there’s one thing this movie shows, it’s not always bad to be shallow once in a while.

“Van Helsing” stars Hugh Jackman (“X-Men”) as the title character. He is a detective of sorts, working for a secret, non-existent order of the Roman Catholic Church. His job is simple, keep the forces of darkness at bay, often leading to the death of what the unaware populous think are innocents. As a result, he is the most wanted man in Europe.

The main plot of the story deals with Van Helsing being sent to protect the remaining descendants of the Valerious family, who’s souls can never enter Heaven if the family dies off before Dracula is defeated. So Van Helsing sets out for Transylvania with the help of a young friar named Carl (David Wenham, “The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers”) at his aid to unravel Dracula’s plan and protect the family.

To put it simply, the movie is bad. The plot has holes you can fly a jet through. There is a whole plot thread dealing with Van Helsing’s amnesia that never pays off. Hints are given to his past, but the audience, like the character, never finds out who he really is, though we are given the impression he knows more than he’s telling us. Dracula keeps referring to him as Gabrielle and that he is responsible for Dracula’s death. How and why is never explained.

Then there is the standard “protect the girl” plot. There is nothing new about this plot, of course. In fact, it is nothing more than a loosely woven story to justify the real point of the movie: to get together, on screen, Dracula, the Wolf man and Frankenstein’s Monster. Don’t expect to see this one up for the Best Screenplay Oscar this year.

Poor plotting and lack of character motivations riddle the film, so what does it have going for it? In a way, these problems help the film. For starters, it’s impossible at any point to take the film seriously. It’s clear from the beginning that it only intends to realize a 9-year-old’s wet dream of getting these monsters on screen together against an anti-hero that has an Indiana Jones/Han Solo attitude.

Director Stephen Sommer’s (“Deep Rising”) clearly understands this goal more so than other attempts to mix classic character on the silver screen. “The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen” anyone? This is a popcorn flick that defines the term. Should one expect any less (or more for that matter) from the guy that brought us “The Mummy”? I think not.

While blockbusters aren’t known for their acting, and this movie is no different, special mention must be given to two the characters and their actors. First up, Richard Roxburgh (“Moulin Rouge”) as Count Dracula turns in one of the best recent performance as the suave night crawler. While he’s no Gary Oldman, this is not that kind of Dracula. He is clearly playing it like Bela Lugosi and having fun with every minute of it. The man knows how to play a villain that you love and hate at the same time. Just look at “Moulin Rouge” if you doubt it.

The second is David Wenham as Carl. Basically, he’s nothing more than a gothic version of Q from the James Bond films. Wenham plays the part for all its fun and silliness. He proves himself a great character actor, as not once during this film will you be reminded that he played the noble Faramir in “The Lord of the Rings.” His presence truly adds to the fun of the film.

“Van Helsing” is exactly the kind of movie critics talk about when they accuse the blockbuster of dumbing down American cinema. It is a bad movie. But, sometimes one just needs some youthful escapism from the highbrow. Getting a bad grade isn’t always a bad thing, either. It doesn’t make it any less fun.

Grade: C