Endlessly entertaining observational humor

Observational comedy is a form of humor that is invincible to the naked eye. It doesn’t happen physically, and often times the true hilarity lies deep below the surface. Jerry Seinfeld brought observational comedy to the mainstream in the ’90s, but other than the impending November release of the “Seinfeld” DVD set and the second wind it’s catching in syndication, the show is over. This column’s purpose is to present things seen in everyday life and distort them for comedy. This is the technique and premise that I will utilize to bring you all to the verge of laughter.

Now since we’re all mature, overachieving, Big Ten-educated adults here, why don’t we start with the basics. Let’s say you and your drunk friend are at a party and your buddy is stumbling around like a one-legged penguin. You then proceed to kick him or her in the back, subsequently knocking him or her down in public, and hilarity ensues. While this form of comedy is often necessary and truly rewarding, it is not observational.

Take that same situation, and instead of kicking your pals in the back, try to observe their tendencies and exploit them. Take for example their clothes. Maybe the subject is a guy who “pops” his collar when he goes out. Instead of saying “That dude looks gay,” and dismissing it, ask yourself why a white kid from suburban America would follow such a heinous looking trend.

You start to think maybe he has seen too many Usher videos. Maybe his neck cancer will show if he wears it down, or maybe he wants to reprazent fo’ all da uppa middle class cracka’z in da 04.

Let’s say that said subject is a woman who is wearing a skirt, which, if worn correctly, can give a woman powers previously unknown within the realm of sexual attractiveness. But if it is worn by the wrong pair of legs, both sexes pay the price. Perhaps her thighs are of mammoth proportions and the very sight of her from the waist down looks like an abstract painting of a naked Sally Struthers with a beach towel and high heels. Or maybe she is going for the “I have not eaten in six days, please help me” look, and the weight of the skirt on her waist looks as if it is going to break her knees at any second. These are things one must consider when viewing something using observational humor.

This brand of comedy is limitless and knows no boundaries. Whether it is the aforementioned Joe or Jane College and their fashion habits, or somebody in the position of authority or someone who leads a fairly conventional life, observational humor encompasses all that is funny.

When concerning those of high influence, it is important to make valid points and try to offend using the truth. For instance, take the Board of Regents and their self-indulging and narcissistic habit of driving luxury cars on campus. Instead of just grimacing and blowing it off or throwing you’re keys at their windshields, think of the nerve and vanity these people have. They drive machines that cost nearly double the price of a four-year in-state tuition right in front of you, right at the very moment when you are carrying a backpack containing grossly overpriced books and are about to use them for a class that, five years ago, cost remarkably less. They would thank you for their navigation system paid for by you and your family’s money, but they are in a hurry to get to their meetings. By “meetings,” I am referring to the board that contains only one student member who is supposed to represent nearly 40,000 students dutifully. The board voted on allowing two student reps, but the elder regents would not allow this drastic shift of power. After all, having two reps would double our voice, and the ’60s taught us that nobody wants angst and passion in the adult world. You see, friends, observational humor can easily have a political edge too.

If Seinfeld taught us anything, it’s that observational comedy in its simplest and perhaps most efficient form can be very random. It is often showcased in question form. Allow me.

Why do male teaching assistants look like they’re 17 dollars away from being homeless? How does the bus driver get in the bus? Where is Swing Town, and why do we have to get down to get there? How on earth is Carrot Top still getting work? Why would you do that? Why do people still instruct you on how to leave a message when they have been around for a decade? Why does that creepy guy refer to his penis as his sin stick? And of course, the tried and true, if the Amish had a Motel Six, would they still leave the light on?

Join me in a fortnight as I continue to give the impression of being funny and looking at common events in society with an unfair bias.

Think you have a topic Rick could use? I thought so. Send your ideas to [email protected] He might even mention your name in the paper, which would give you a level popularity that only Ron Dayne experiences.