Party in the Park

This Saturday grab a lawn chair and head to James Madison Park for Party in the Park, an all-day free concert running from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. The event, hosted by the University of Wisconsin’s radio station, WSUM 91.7 FM, features local and national bands, including the popular national act, Andrew WK. Sponsored by the Wisconsin Broadcasters Association, Marshall Field’s, Pinkus McBride Market & Deli, MC Audio and various local businesses, Party in the Park is an event that celebrates not only different genres of music, but also the Madison community.

“Party in the Park is WSUM’s way of thanking listeners,” said Anna Filipek, WSUM station manager and event co-organizer.

Since Party in the Park was started in 1999, it has grown tremendously. Last year, organizers estimated that nearly 10,000 people attended.

Party in the Park features four stages with performances by dozens of bands, DJs and student organizations, such as the UW Fencing Club, the Swing Dancing Club and the Belly Dancing Club. Filipek notes that unlike other concerts, Party in the Park focuses on many genres of music, from hip-hop to punk rock.

This year, Party in the Park will feature Andrew WK — a popular rock musician who has appeared on MTV’s “Jackass” and “Crashing With.” Filipek said that Andrew WK is the biggest performer in college radio.

“He was chosen because he gives an amazing live performance,” said Filipek. Other musical acts include the Orin Project and Urizen, two winners of WSUM’s Anniversary Party in February.

Besides an array of rock bands, Party in the Park features some funkier, less mainstream artists. The German Art Students, a group of entertaining local musicians, perform fun pop songs with weird titles.

“They sing about science teachers and Civil War reenactments,” said Filipek.

Black Elephant, a three-member hip-hop band out of Milwaukee, performs a unique mix of hip-hop and spoken word combined with a neo-soul aesthetic. Also performing will be the hip-hop underground legend Immortal Technique, a hip-hop veteran out of Harlem, N.Y.

Another highlight is the quickly upcoming indie rock quartet, the Heavenly States, whose songs feature guitar, keyboard, violin, drums and bass. Two other notable acts include the girl punk band The Soviettes and the Chicago-based experimental folk-rock band, Califone. To satisfy any appetite, State Street Brats, Ingrid Lunch Box and Buraka will sell grub in food carts.

Following the daytime festivities at James Madison Park, Party in the Dark, an after-party concert, will be held on the Memorial Union Terrace from 9 p.m. to midnight. This second lakefront show will feature Scout Niblett, Ivan Okay (Klipstein), Sandman the Rapping Cowboy and The Candyland Riots. Filipek encourages everybody to come to Party in the Park.

“It is a great chance to experience different types of music you might not otherwise hear,” she said. “The last two hours are just DJs, and the park turns into a mini-rave.”

To see Party in the Park’s full band lineup, check out www.partyinthepark2004.com.