Bartime explores The State

A big part of the collegiate ritual is the pursuit of a mate. It makes sense ? at no other time in our lives will we be surrounded by so many single people in the same age group. In Madison, the bars offer a logical place to prowl for the perfect match.

One hunting ground ripe with possibility is the State Bar and Grill, located at 118 State Street. Since its opening in 1999, the State quickly developed a reputation as a classy pick-up joint.

Part of the reason for its success is the simple layout of the bar. With an open second story looking down towards the entrance below, along with a spacious back room, it is easy to scope out the crowd and sight possibilities. This design screams see and be seen.

The lines outside are a testament to its popularity. Even with a large capacity of 199, people are willing to wait. Its success surprised the owners. “We were not initially expecting such a strong student response,” said owner Larry Schmock.

Given the visibility, patrons don’t come here dressed down. You would not want to be caught wearing those out of style circa 1999 threads here on a Thursday night!

On weekends, the bar gets its beat from music videos featuring the latest in pop and dance hits. Since MTV no longer shows videos per se, many find the State’s musical vibe one of its best qualities. Unique to State Street bars, this aspect creates a clubby and trendy feel.

Atmosphere combined with hormonal urges is what drives the State. Drink specials are not offered, and the prices are at the higher end of the State Street range as a whole. The drinks, however, are not bad. Focusing entirely on conventional cocktails without gimmicks, the State’s bartenders do a good job at keeping the busy crowd well-lubricated.

One downside to the bar’s popularity is the pressure it creates to continually serve drinks in real glass. “We simply can’t keep up with the demand,” Schmock explains, adding that the plastic cups they use are the most expensive in the business.

The open second story creates a safety issue as well. The last thing anybody wants while they are working their A-game is a pint glass to the cranium.

The booze selection is solid, and offers a fine selection of premium spirits. If you want a Sapphire martini, you can it get just as easy as a rail screwdriver.

On the whole, Coke mixers with Jack or Captain are popular, and are available for $4. The State’s Long Islands are tasty, priced at $5.

More interesting and somewhat in contrast to the bar’s sophisticated attitude is its cheap beer selection. By cheap I mean Blatz bottles, for $2.50, and Schitz cans for $2. Some might consider these choices an acquired taste, but it does sell. “We go through about 3 cases of Blatz a week,” Schmock explains.

The standard selection of tap beers is priced from $3 to $4.50. Pitchers are available from $8 to $12.50.

A long front bar and a bar in the back room keep the party flowing. Combined with cocktail waitresses who serve the upper floor, you can maintain your attention on your target without worrying about external competition.

Whether it’s a one-night stand, or the quest for a soul mate, the State has you covered. But the bar can only help you so much. Remember, if you go home alone because you were a slobbering drunk, the only one you have to blame is yourself.

Bartime will return after Spring Break with more drinking tales. Be safe, and cheers!

Meet Your Bartenders

Bartime’s weekly Q & A at the featured bar

Name: Jessica Stelloh and Brian Slavin

How long bartending: Jessica: 2 _ years; Brian: 1 _ years

Favorite drink to drink: Jessica: Ketel One Press; Brian: Jack & Coke

Favorite drink to make: Jessica: water; Brian: Long Island Iced Tea

Description of the bar: Jessica: “Big open spaces.” Brian: “Lots of levels.”

Worst pick-up line: Jessica: “They are all bad.” Brian: “Do you know karate, cuz your body is kickin’!”

Favorite aspect to working at the bar: Both: “We love our co-workers!”

Favorite music video in rotation: Jessica: “Justin Timberlake ? Rock Your Body”; Brian: “Britney Spears ? Crazy”