Bull Feather’s: the real college bar

A universal sign of approval for a good dance song is hands in the air, followed by screams of “Woo!” As the beat moves on, the crowd settles into a groove, anticipating a repeat to their ritual at the start of another track.

Judging by the arms rhythmically moving about at Bull Feather’s on any given Thursday night, the DJ must be doing something right. Sure, his skills sound like they came from a high school dance. Nevertheless, once a song like Nelly’s “Ride Wit Me” comes on over the speakers, the dance floor moves with bodies shaking their thing.

Even if you’re off the market, the hook-up vibe is impossible to miss. Couples are moving as one. Girls are either making a fashion statement, or don’t seem to care if their thong is showing. Guys are doing their best trying not get caught staring. The scene looks like a dangerously fun way to start the weekend.

Located at 303 N. Henry St., Bull Feather’s is a basement-level bar built underneath a completely different bar — Stillwaters. Underscoring the coastal rivalry on this campus, the two worlds could not be further apart. “We’ve typically always drawn a Midwestern clientele,” owner Dick Lyshek explains.

For the past 11 years, steady crowds have made Bull Feather’s one of the most popular downtown bars. Lines spill out onto Henry Street during the weekends. Good luck getting in if there happens to be a football game.

Although the bar is underground, it hardly feels confined. The capacity is almost 250, and a walk through the bar will inevitably result in an encounter with someone you know, or perhaps want to know better.

“It is really like a college-style ‘Cheers,'” former bartender and recent UW graduate Carolyn Halik elaborates.

Bull Feather’s succeeds by offering a little bit of everything. It is spacious, and there are plenty of tables and places to sit. For entertainment, there is a pool table, some dartboards and seven TVs.

Although many people tend not to go out Sundays, Bull Feather’s features Sunday-night karaoke. Depending on your point of view, or your sense of tone and hearing, this can be either wildly amusing or moderately uncomfortable.

Most of all, Bull Feather’s makes good drinks at a decent price and serves them up quickly. Speed is something which owner Lyshek takes seriously. “I don’t know of a bar where they can sling ’em out as fast as we can,” he says.

Drinks like vodka lemonade and fuzzy navels tend to be popular. Priced with a college student in mind, these are $2.75 when made with rail booze. Calls, such as Captain and Coke, are $3.25. Top shelf drinks are $4, as is the amazingly trendy Jäger-bomb. Eight beers are on tap. Miller Lite leads the pack, available for $2.50.

In terms of specials, Bull Feather’s keeps it simple. Monday night is a 40 percent hospitality industry discount. Tuesday features 2-4-1 mixed rails. Wednesday night is a bucket of 5 Rolling Rocks for $6. Adding fuel to the hormone-driven Thursday night crowd is a double UV Blue Lemonade special for $3.50.

“Everybody at UW seems to come here at one time or another,” Halik explains, “and inevitably they seem find their way back.” Maybe it is for a quick drink, or the chance of finding a booty call. With these factors in combination, Bull Feather’s certainly lives up to the expectations and image of a college bar.

Bartime will hit the Great Dane Brewery Pub and Brewery this weekend, located at 123 E. Doty. Cheers!