‘Terminator 3’ a good summer movie

How does one follow up something like “Terminator 2: Judgment Day?” The simplest answer would be to try not to top it. Let’s face it: “T2” was a masterpiece of Sci-fi story telling and one of the few cases where you can argue that the sequel is better than the first. So, it should have been assumed that any sequel would not be as good.

It gets more complicated when the third movie goes forward without the chief creator/writer/director James Cameron in charge. Usually in situations like this, it spells disaster. Going into “Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines,” I had nothing but expectation of the worst.

Luckily “Terminator 3” wasn’t a disaster. For a summer sci-fi

film, it delivers.

The movie starts out in the year 2004, with a now-adult John Connor (Nick Stahl, “In the Bedroom”). Though he and his mother managed to destroy the computer lab that would eventually build Skynet, John remains on the run, haunted by the nightmares of the a future that didn’t happen.

His nightmares come true, when the T-X (Kristanna Loken, “Mortal Kombat: Conquest”) arrives from the future to take out John Connor’s lieutenants-to-be and eventually finding John himself. Once again, the resistance sends through another T-800 (Arnold Schwarzenegger, “True Lies”) to protect John.

The Terminator reveals that John only delayed Judgment Day but did not prevent it.

To be honest, there is not a lot of plot here, especially compared to its predecessor. On occasion, it even contradicts “T2” —

John is well into his 20s when he should only be 19.

On the other hand, it isn’t completely shallow. Some of the revelations about what exactly Skynet is are rather original and quite fascinating.

Still, even with these revelations, there could have been more depth added to the time travel paradox of the story. The movie sets up a fourth film, which at this point needs to be made, since no one would settle for this film’s ending.

The actors do all right with the material. Nick Stahl manages to actually remind me of Michael Beihn’s performance of Kyle Reese in the first film. Claire Danes does a fine job as John’s love interest, Kate. The intention was probably to make her kind of like Sarah Connor in the original, showing hints that she has it in her to become tough. For the most part, she achieves this.

The movie really rests on the shoulders of Arnold Schwarzenegger, and he comes back to the role in full form. While Arnold has had a few decent movies of late, he really hasn’t had a truly great film since 1994’s “True Lies.” Returning as the Terminator, he’s in great shape. I swear, he looks more buff here than in “T2.” It is a joy to watch him reclaim this role again. The man can’t act, but he’s still good at what he does, unlike most buff action heroes of the 80s.

Kristanna Loken’s turn as the T-X is not bad, but she’s no T-1000. She does have her great moments, like increasing the size of her breasts when a cop pulls her over.

The action is fantastic, with a lot of intense car chases that put the “The Matrix: Reloaded” to shame.

While there are a lot of computer graphics used, they don’t stand out very much, suggesting that they were well done. In essence, “Terminator 3” is more entertaining than the previous sequel that dealt with a battle against machines.

If this is to be Arnold’s last starting role as a result of his new job as California’s governor, I can’t think of a better way for him to end his action career than with the role that really started it. This movie is an excellent summer pick.

“Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines” will be available on DVD and VHS on November 11th.

Rating: B