Stay up late with Dave Attell

Few comedians have made self-deprecating humor simultaneously sound as sharply biting and warmly inviting as Dave Attell. His unique ability for making his own shortcomings a collective experience has garnered him a fan base as eclectic as it is intoxicated.

Attell’s humor has found an increasingly broadening niche thanks to his show “Insomniac,” which takes the comedian on drunken exploratory jaunts through America’s vibrant and not-so-vibrant nightlifes. Part travelogue, part reality show and part frat party, “Insomniac” finds humor in the unlikeliest of places and exploits it to its fullest possibility.

The first verse from the theme song of “Insomniac” pretty much sums up the show’s aim: “Drunks and losers/ dwarves with limps/ Flos and hoes and one-eyed pimps/ Down the alleyway they creep/ They’re all your friends when you can’t sleep.”

The show plans to hit Europe for its upcoming fourth season, and Lord only knows the ways in which Attell will find ways to create comedy out of the combination of alcohol and language barrier.

In the meantime, Attell is out hitting the comedy club circuit in promotion of the show’s DVD, “The Best of ‘Insomniac with Dave Attell’ Uncensored: Volume 1” as well as his debut stand-up CD, Skanks for the Memories. Attell plays the Orpheum Theatre tonight, April 24. Tickets are $27.25.