Farleys come home

Mention the name “Farley” to any native Madisonian, and he’ll beam with pride. He’ll most likely speak of the goofball antics of a certain boisterous “SNL” alum with the same pride a mother would speak of her child’s A+ paper hanging on her refrigerator. He’ll wistfully remember Matt Foley, Bennett Brower and, and, of course, Tommy Boy.

And Kevin Farley wouldn’t have it any other way.

Chris Farley’s brother Kevin has quietly followed in his older brother’s footsteps, first through the comedy troupes of Madison, then to Chicago’s Second City and finally out to Hollywood. He recently appeared as Doug Linus on MTV’s boy band spoof “2gether” and is currently trying to stake his claim as a comedian and actor.

For now, though, Kevin Farley, alongside the likes of his brother John, Kevin Bozeman and David Spade, are headed to Madison this weekend for the fifth annual Comics Come Home. The event started as a fundraiser for the Chris Farley Foundation, but, as Kevin explains, it has taken on a much larger significance since its inception.

Kevin Farley spoke with The Badger Herald about being a Midwesterner in Hollywood, MTV’s politics and the legacy of his belated brother.

The Badger Herald: How has growing up in Madison affected your sense of humor and general disposition?

Kevin Farley: My sense of humor tends to be Midwestern — sort of silly type stuff. A lot of these guys who come out to L.A. try to be sophisticated and cutting edge, but that constant pursuit to be edgy has always bored me. The tried and true comedy is always in the simplest stuff. It’s always about laughter, any way you can get to it.

Growing up in Madison, that’s the kind of thing that always made me laugh.

BH: Anything particularly Midwestern about your comedy today?

KF: My brothers [John and Chris Farley] and I did a scene on Jay Leno called “The Mayor of McCheese” when the Packers won the Super Bowl. Chris was the Mayor of this small town near Fenimore, Wis., and we all wore these cheeseheads — really Midwestern.

And I’ve always liked “American Movie” and Mark Borchardt. There are so many funny people in Wisconsin that people on the coasts must just think “What is this?”

BH: Have Midwestern stereotypes ever been a problem for you out in Hollywood?

KF: Never, because they’re always looking for new ways of looking at things out here. But Hollywood does put you in a certain category, and it’s hard to break out of that. I suppose I’m “the Midwest guy.” Every time I’m up for roles that’s the way I’m seen, but that’s the way I look and carry myself.

BH: What was the transition like going from a 9-5 job to pursuing acting?

KF: It’s unstable, because there’s no guarantee of a paycheck. With a 9-5 you’ve at least got the guarantee of a regular paycheck, but with acting you could do the best job in the world and there will be no paycheck at all. It has its rewards, though, because I’m living by my own means.

BH: How did you like working for MTV on “2gether?”

KF: MTV is, like any other network, trying to survive. They can be really creative, and they’re working on a limited budget. Look at “The Osbournes.” They were like that when I worked for them.

I had a ball, though. I got to do things I had never done before — I was 36, overweight, bald and in a boy band for God’s sake! It was one of the biggest things I’d ever been involved with.

BH: How did Comics Come Home and The Chris Farley Foundation come about?

KF: We started the foundation after Chris passed away in 1997, and it blossomed into what is now a communications-based foundation that focuses on things like public-service announcements with the “Saturday Night Live” cast.

What we do on a grass-roots level is go around to schools and talk about Chris’ life and the lessons his life has taught us. Comics Come Home helps raise money for it, and I love coming back to Madison for it. It’s always such a good night because everyone feels Chris’ spirit there.

BH: Do you ever struggle with the reality of trying to convert Madisonians, people who have grown up in a notorious drinking culture all their lives?

KF: It’s like the smoking thing — you just have to keep screaming, keep the message out there. The consequences of not doing it are worse. There always needs to be someone on the other side telling people of the dangers of drugs and alcohol. If there’s no one on the other side, then people only have one viewpoint — your buddy with the bong. We have to at least increase the awareness.

BH: What do you see as Chris’ legacy?

KF: His public image was different than for those of us who knew him — he was kind of a shy guy, and alcohol changed him. There are a lot of legends that go around about him, and that’s fine. It’s frustrating, but the Foundation is trying to promote the lessons we can learn about Chris’ life.

A lot of people still come up to me and say, “I was really down and out, and I put in ‘Tommy Boy,’ and it made me laugh.” That’s the kind of image that will endure of Chris, not the partier image.

He was flat out one of the funniest guys that ever lived. He’s also a guy who we can look at and understand the dangers of drugs and alcohol. It’s still such a shame that he’s not with us making us laugh.

Comics Come Home is this Saturday, December 7th at 7:30 p.m. at the Memorial Union Theatre. All proceeds will benefit The Chris Farley Foundation. For more information, please visit www.chrisfarleyfoundation.com.