Doin’ it right

Weeks deep into his RICO trial, Uncle Junior literally stumbles upon the perfect defense. Being hounded by media and on-lookers on the steps of the county courthouse, Junior is accidentally knocked down by a boom mic and takes a tumble face-first into the pavement.

Tony and the boys smell a way out for the old man and decide to milk the accident for all it’s worth. Junior plays up the senility and mental damages caused by the fall so the court can deem him not fit to stand trial. But how long can June stand to act crazy just to avoid the slam?

While things are looking up for Junior, Ralph Cifaretto gets his just desserts in more ways than one. While he relaxes in the tub, Ralph’s son Justin and his friend harmlessly play with a bow and arrow in the yard until Justin takes an arrow through the lung.

His son’s life in critical condition, Ralph is thrown into a frenzy, crying on Tony’s shoulder one minute and proposing to Rosalie Aprile the next. Then, perhaps in an impulsive act of rage and grief, Ralph kills his other “baby,” Pie-O-My, by setting fire to the stable.

Needless to say, this does not please the big man, as he was part owner of the horse with Ralphie. When Tony confronts him about his involvement with the arson and Ralph denies it, the two engage in an all-out fist-fight that finally ends with the death of Ralph Cifaretto.

If the first eight episodes of this season were intent on building conflict through question after question, “Whoever Did This” provides a resounding answer to at least one of them. As much as some of us might have hated to see Ralphie go (Tony will surely kick himself later for having offed his best earner), his death was an inevitability.

Besides being the most satisfying (who better to do-in Ralphie than Tony) and compelling 10 minutes of television this season, their fight works to cause as many problems as it solves. Paulie and his mother can rest a little easier now, and Ginny Sack will endure no more snide comments.

However, Tony will have to find a new capo to helm the Esplanade as well as an excuse for having killed a made guy. Moreover, ideas of mutiny should start to foment amongst T’s underlings, and rightfully so — if a dead horse pushes the big man over the edge, there’s no telling when or on whom he’ll lose control next.

Another strength of “Whoever Did This” is its nicely tempered, dramedy-ish tone. Uncle Junior’s psychotic episodes provide a welcome respite to the heavy drama surrounding the rest of the show. Previous episodes uncomfortably bounced between didactic preachiness and forced chuckles, but June’s antics and Ralphie’s wise-ass remarks make the transitions seamless.

Best line: “You are so high on scag you wouldn’t know he had your mother’s muff on his head.” (Tony to a surprised and strung-out Christopher, after the latter unwittingly pulls a wig off of Ralph’s lifeless head.)