University Theatre’s ‘Antigone’ falls short of greatness

Sophocles would have done it better. Actually, he did do it better, many, many times. University Theatre’s latest production, the Jean Anouilh version of Sophocles’ most well-known play, “Antigone,” left much to be desired. The genius behind the original masterpiece was blown out of proportion in this, the theatre’s third production in its season of Science and Drama.

Directed by Harry Waters, Jr., “Antigone” was not only drawn out (an hour and 45 minute show with no intermission), but the acting and stage presence of its characters held little passion or connection to the story they were telling. Most of the characters seemed to put out a fake enthusiasm. When little to no excitement about the story comes from the stage, it is difficult to make an audience excited about it either.

“Antigone” is one of the most well-known and compelling of the ancient Greek tragedies. It is the telling of the death of Antigone, the daughter of Oedipus, who buries her brother despite it being forbidden by the King, Creon.

Having been performed for centuries, it is a shame to see it in this light. The play was not totally lost, thanks to an absolutely stunning performance by Lashawn Welch, playing the titular protagonist. She was captivating and charismatic, much unlike the rest of her theatrical counterparts. Her acting excelled far beyond the others, and the emotion and elegance she had onstage could not be matched.

The First Guard, played by Angela Manser, also did a fine job, acting as somewhat of a comic relief in this timeless tragedy. The scenes that she and Welch shared were particularly well-done, especially one of the final scenes, in which Antigone gives her last words to her love, Haemon, and the First Guard copies them down for her.

Haemon, played by Ryan D. Shabach in a dorky, yet loveable, role, did well in his scenes as Antigone’s young lover. But when given serious and passionate scenes, he fell short, as did Antigone’s self-centered sister, Ismene, played by Lauren Olson. Scenes that should have had attitude and power were performed cautiously, and her delivery had much room for improvement.

Myrmidons morphed together onstage as the audience entered the theatre, and yet even this could have been performed better. A break in character by one, which proceeded in laughter from the rest, makes anyone watching not take these characters seriously, and from that point on, whatever power or imagination they were to bring to the show was lost. An unacceptable lack of professionalism for this kind of performance ruined the mood before the show even began.

The chorus, although helpful to those who have had no previous background information on this play, did nothing for the flow of this production. Introducing the characters at the beginning of the show and then interrupting the performance along the way grew tiresome and made for an unneeded break in the action. Although a chorus is an integral part of Greek tragedy, this one did not work well.

Creon’s wife stood mute for the entire show in what could have had a profound effect. But her presence went almost completely unnoticed. Creon himself, played by Actors’ Equity Association member David Furumoto, gave a false sense of power and honor in his role and failed to work off of the passion and power that Welch had in her role.

Scenery and lighting crews for this show should be given acknowledgement, as the set and lighting were appropriately done. The stage floor, made of sand and a giant labyrinth, formed a maze for the actors to walk through, giving their stride some direction. Had this not been done, who knows if even the actors’ walking would have been emotionless.

Transitional lighting sequences also had nice flow, and the ropes set up as a swing in a far corner of the stage added a nice visual touch. With the theater set up with seating in the round, it is easy to make use of many visual effects, which can be seen from all sides.

“Antigone,” as a whole, was disappointing. But the stellar performance of Lashawn Welch should be noted. With some alterations, the positives of this show could make it a great production. But this final product failed to deliver.

“Antigone” continues its run at the Hemsley Theatre this Friday at 7:30 p.m.