Hookah and blues at Madison Masala

There are a handful of good restaurants in Madison that also feature bars which stand out on their own accord. Given its emergence as a weekend hotspot, Madison Masala and Sheesha Lounge, 227 State St., is an excellent example of such a phenomenon.

The word “masala” means “spice” in the Urdu language. The very notion of spice invokes the idea of uniqueness and flavor — the exact opposite of bland. Spices also happen to come from exotic and faraway places. Taking this concept further, the owners of Madison Masala, who hail from Pakistan, designed the restaurant and bar with a Middle Eastern influence in mind.

Dark maroon colors, translucent orange drapes and Middle Eastern art adorn the walls. The lighting is deliberately dark, creating a sense of mystery and adventure. The bench seating has comfortable cushions which are highlighted by numerous and colorfully embroidered pillows.

On a busy night, the fragrant aroma of flavored tobacco is unmistakable. Unlike any bar on State Street, the scent is due to customers smoking a hookah, which is a glass tobacco water-pipe commonly found in many Middle Eastern countries.

Sheesha is another name for hookah, as one finds in the name of the lounge. The device itself is tall — about two feet. An enclosed glass bowl, decorated with painted flowers, is filled with water and serves as the base. Rising from the base is a brass tube that extends to a dish that holds the tobacco. About mid-way is a long and flexible tube that features a mouthpiece from which to smoke. The number of tubes can vary, and Madison Masala offers both one-pipe and three-pipe alternatives.

Meant to be enjoyed for their taste, as well as a mild buzz, there are numerous tobacco flavors to choose from. Ranging from fruit flavors such as strawberry and apricot to more herbal varieties like rose and jasmine, the tobaccos are a far cry from what you would find in a cigarette. Furthermore, the odor is very pleasant, such that non-smokers would even find it appealing.

The hookahs happen to be quite a social device. The tobacco lasts about 25 minutes, and given such duration, it is not uncommon to find small groups at tables enjoying the hookah together.

The hookahs are a distinctive feature, but Madison Masala also extends creativity in entertainment.

On weekends, live DJs perform smooth house and progressive beats. DJ Todd Richmann, especially popular in Madison, is a huge draw when he happens to be in town and not opening up for the big guns in Chicago. He will be spinning Halloween night at Madison Masala, an event that is a surefire hit. Other local DJs keep the sound fresh, but the music is never too hyper or intense. Played at an agreeable volume, it is easy to sit back and enjoy the tunes while engaging in conversation.

This environment, when accentuated with good drinks, has launched Madison Masala as a hip place to visit.

The drinks are similarly top-notch, appropriate for the setting. Served in martini glasses, the featured drinks are unique in name and flavor. Named after a bartender, the Strawberry Boettcher, or Strawberry Charlie, as some like to call it, is mixed with Stoli Strasberi vodka, Amaretto and sour. The Chocolate Razzberry Tini is made with Skyy Vodka, Godiva White Chocolate and Chambord. These drinks are offered for prices ranging from $6 to $7.

One of the more distinct cocktails is called Blue Balls. Made with Stoli Strasberi and Razberi vodkas, along with Malibu rum, blue curaçao and pineapple juice, the drink packs a serious punch for only $5.00.

A shot known as the Starburst is a classy variation on the Jäger Bomb shot. Equal parts of Stoli Strasberi, Razberi and Ohranj are poured in a shot glass. The shot glass is then dropped in a half-full glass of Red Bull, then consumed. Although priced at $5.00, the shot is a lot of fun with friends.

A fun night is supposed to be a solid combination of good drinks and a good atmosphere with company you enjoy. Bartender David Hamilton explains, “Madison Masala is fun because it is laid back.” The secret is out, and just because a place is chill does not preclude it from being popular.

Bartime will take a different turn at the Red Shed tonight, Friday, Oct. 25, at 11 p.m. The Red Shed is located off State St. at 406 N. Frances St.