Bartime: Opus offers decadent, romantic escape

An “opus,” by definition, is a creative work of art capable of invoking a strong emotional response. True to its name, the Opus Lounge transforms the typical bar experience into an art form.

Appealing to our senses, the Opus is at the same time seductive and sexy, dark and mysterious, rich and luxurious. Where the bar succeeds best, however, is keeping these responses in check — it is classy without being pretentious, which explains the diverse crowd one will find on any given night. Regardless of background, the goal of enjoying a sophisticated environment with equally sophisticated drinks is achieved by all.

Start with the simple problem of selecting a drink. Offering a decadent, yet approachable selection of cocktails, the Opus offers a mind-numbing variety of choices that will tickle your taste buds, sooth your soul and appeal to your mood.

Perhaps celebration is in the air, a circumstance that might guide you towards the champagne cocktail section in the heavy, black leather-bound drink menu. Featuring bubbly mixed in fascinating combinations and at $7.00 each, these choices are sure to lift your spirits high. Some of the more popular favorites include the Bellini, made with peaches; the Champagne Bath, made with cherries and roses; and the Kir Royale, made with cassis.

The Opus does not limit its creativity to the champagne world. The dizzying array of signature cocktails only raises the level of possibility for your pleasure. Presented in martini glasses and priced between $7.00 and $8.00, the emphasis is on quality and creativity.

The Pink Floyd, for example, is a twist on the Cosmopolitan. Served with gin rather than vodka, it does not overpower by the switch in liquor type. The Pulp Fiction is an Absolut Mandarin cocktail, and is refreshing without being too sweet.

The Water for Chocolate is a Van Gogh Dutch Chocolate vodka martini with a hint of orange flavor. Intense and strong, this drink is liquid love, the smooth chocolate flavor lingers in your mouth, releasing endorphins with each sip.

Never static, the Opus is introducing some new signature cocktails. Bartender Robert Carpenter says, “We like to keep things fresh and new — it changes with the season.”

One new drink is named after staff member Soren Carpenter, who works Tuesday nights with Robert Carpenter for the “Tuesday All-Carpenter Show” (the shared last name is purely coincidental). Called Soren’s Soirée, the drink tastes very similar to a grape Jolly Rancher. Made with vodka and fruit juice, the martini glass is garnished with a purple, edible orchid.

The Licorice Whip is another new cocktail. Mixed with Pernod and Frangelico, the drink is surprisingly creamy and lacks the strong licorice bite one might expect. In typical Opus style, the glass is playfully garnished with a small plastic monkey walking on the rim.

Soren Carpenter explains, “We have fun with the garnishes — sometimes it will follow the theme of the drink, or we’ll just pick something at random.”

The drink choices do not stop here. The menu includes an extensive list of classic martinis, margaritas, rum, port, sake or wine to indulge.

The Opus also serves food. Tapas, which are small dishes, are offered. Featuring items such as sushi or carpaccio, these are the right things to eat with drinks of such caliber.

Dessert, of course, is not overlooked. Sweet treats that are meant to be shared, such as crepes, chocolate fondue and s’mores, will tempt any sweet tooth.

The food and drink are made with care and precision. If they are not enough to get your juices flowing, the atmosphere will succeed.

The setting at the Opus is very intimate. It is the type of place where if you are not with someone special, you will soon be wishing you were.

The aesthetic is stylish, curvy and comfortable. The booths are divided, which make it easy to engage in a whisper-voiced conversation. The lighting is dark, yet colorful, as noticed by the constantly changing lightshow that looks like waves moving across the ceiling. Modern art and flowers are located throughout. As a whole, the setting is well balanced, not overdone or too busy — just right.

The Opus, however, is very aware of its suggestive environment, and compliments that fact with drink names that scream double-entendre. You might reveal too much of your mood or intention by ordering champagne cocktails like Mia’s Flirtini, made with pineapple, or Jealousy, made with apples. Alternatively, signature cocktails like Pucker Up, which is an apple martini, or Black Cherry Love, considered grown-up “Kool-Aid”, allow the Freudian envelope to be pushed even further.

Topping the scenery off is the music. The Opus features live DJ’s Sunday and Monday nights, along with jazz Thursday. Outside of these days, the music is smooth grooves all the way. Slick hip-hop or ambient down tempo electronic, the music elevates the sensual experience, always seeming to be the right tune at the right time.

Naturally, the Opus Lounge can be enjoyed in a group. My suggestion, however, is to bring that special person in your life that makes you happy. All are welcome at the Opus, and you will be rewarded by an adventure that is a far cry from the cliché of a typical date.

Bartime will escape from some of the Homecoming madness at Madison Masala, tonight, Friday, October 18. Madison Masala is located at 227 State Street. Cheers!