Pushin’ “Weight”

Every one of us, at one time or another, has experienced the regressive, pre-pubescent bliss of partaking in a “Your mama’s so fat ?” joke, whether we’d admit to it or not. However, the only direct consequence that would ever come of it would be some friendly, reciprocated ribbing, or, in the most extreme case, an atomic wedgie.

For Mr. Foot-in-his-mouth Ralph Cifaretto, however, a casual (albeit damn funny) comment on Ginny Sack’s weight problem results in a mess that nearly turns fatal.

When word finally got back to New York underboss Johnny Sack about the disparaging remark, be began giving Ralph the proverbial cold shoulder. But things escalate after a phone call from Ralph to patch things over goes awry.

After being turned down by New York boss Carmine for authorization for a hit on Ralph, Johnny subsequently walks out of two sit-downs that unsuccessfully attempted to settle the dispute. With his back against the wall and pride on the line, Johnny calls for the hit on Ralph anyway, but not before Carmine tacitly gives Tony consent to whack Johnny before all hell breaks loose.

Thankfully, Johnny comes to his senses after catching Ginny hording candy bars, and both hits are called off.
“The Weight,” although doing little in the way of forwarding any storylines, cleverly offers glimpses into future goings-on. The theme of the episode seems to revolve around the interaction of food, sex and money — the three essentials for just about any of the show’s male characters.
Allusions are made to Tony’s need for instant gratification through subtleties in mise-en-scene — he’s constantly eating a pastry of some sort, his aggressive groping of Carmela at the end, etc. After he and Carmela argue that each one of them confuses love with money, Tony buys her a dozen roses and an expensive cocktail dress.
It’s a fitting action for a man who doesn’t always know what he wants but somehow ends up getting it anyway.
Best line: “We bend more rules than the Catholic church.” (Johnny Sack to his fellow bosses after they deny him permission to act on the situation with Ralph Cifaretto.)