Science and drama shake up season for University Theater

A wise UW professor once said that science improves the stories that we tell. This statement encompasses the theme of University Theatre’s 2002-2003 season.

Within the next few months, and with a seemingly effortless balance between science and art, University Theatre’s eight main stage productions will take its audience on a journey through its scientific imagination and explore the depths of the human psyche.

The first special event on the theater scene this season was Nick Tamarkin’s “The Indian Wants the Bronx.” As part of the UW-Madison campus remembrance of the events of September 11, 2001, this powerful drama opened one year to the date of the tragic events that struck our nation.

The three-person cast and its director held a talkback after each performance to discuss its message — one that hit close to home in its depiction of the inhumane violence that two teenage thugs inflict onto an innocent East Indian stranger.

The first show on the calendar that directly reflects this season’s theme of science and drama is D. Scott Glasser’s depiction of the classic horror story, “The Passion of Dracula.” This frightening — and surprisingly humorous — event had its first run onstage this past summer, and it has been brought back for a second run with its amazing special effects and guaranteed laughs. “The Passion of Dracula” premieres at the Mitchell Theatre at 7:30 p.m. September 19 and runs September 19-21, 26-28.

Next up is Harry Waters, Jr.’s production of the existential French adaptation of the classic Greek tragedy “Antigone.” In the words of Norma Saldivar, head of the directing program in the University Theatre Department, this drama promises to be “a very passionate, very earthy and primal and spiritual production.” This vibrant retelling explores the basic roots of spirituality. “Antigone” premieres October 18 at 7:30 p.m. at the Hemsley Theatre and runs October 18-19, 23-27, 30-31 and November 1-3.

Nick Tamarkin returns for his second main stage production of the season with the “devilishly black comedy,” “The Physicists.” This scientific extravaganza approaches the world of science with a skewed perspective as it follows the strangling of three famous physicists, Newton, Mobius and Einstein, in the insane asylum they are confined to. “The Physicists” opens to a decidedly mad audience on November 8 at 7:30 p.m., and runs November 8-9, 14-16, 21-23.

In what is to be the celebrated event for this season, the graduating actors of the Master of Fine Arts program are pleased to present their depiction of Shakespeare’s celebrated tragedy “Hamlet.” This new and different psychological approach to one of the most well-known Shakespearian plays will be the culminating moment for one of the larger classes of MFA actors to graduate simultaneously this year.

Under the direction of Norma Saldivar, this will prove to be the shining moment for the University and its actors. “Hamlet” is set to open December 4 at 7:30 p.m. at the Hemsley Theatre and runs December 4-8, 10-12.

Second semester swings into session with the joint production between University Theatre and University Opera of Gilbert and Sullivan’s popular French operetta, “The Mikado.” The story of two Japanese lovers torn apart by their feudalistic society will be presented in the traditional Asian theatre form of Kabuki, directed by renowned Kabuki practitioner David Furumoto and University Opera artistic director William Farlow.

“The Mikado” will premiere at the Wisconsin Union Theatre February 21 at 7:30 p.m. and runs February 21, 22, 28, and March 1 at 7:30 p.m., with a matinee performance March 2 at 3 p.m.

Next up, travel into the Theatre for Young Audiences Production of Manon Van De Water’s “Somebody Catch My Homework.” This production, based on the poetry of David Harrison, has been mixed with music and lively stage movement and will travel to local schools around the area, as well as perform on-campus theatre performances. “Somebody Catch My Homework” begins its run March 8 at 3 p.m. at the Hemsley Theatre and continues touring through March 8-9, 29-30.

The final production of the season explores the cutthroat nature of science. “Oxygen,” was written by two chemists, Carl Djerassi (the inventor of the birth control pill) and Roald Hoffmann (winner of the 1981 Noble Prize in Chemistry), who combine their extraordinary scientific and literary abilities to tell the tale of two tense meetings in Stockholm, Sweden, regarding the winners of the “retro Nobel” for the 18th century discovery of oxygen. “Oxygen” closes the theatre season starting March 28 at 7:30 p.m. at the Mitchell Theatre and runs March 28-29, April 3-5, 10-12.

With these eight shows preparing to dazzle you, the new publicity assistant for University Theatre, Brian Bizzell, puts it simply: “We are hoping to expose the public to things they do not often see. We want to stretch the bounds of traditional theatre and show them science in a new and interesting light.

“And of course, our mission as a theatre, as it always has been, is to give experience to our students. Whoever said science and art do not mix will be challenged with this season’s line up.”

So, head to the box office and grab your tickets for the 2002-2003 University Theatre season of Science and Drama. You will not be let down.