Bartime visits the Crystal Corner

Few places in Madison are as beautifully unique and diverse as the Williamson Street neighborhood. Known by many simply as Willy Street, this Near-Eastside locale is home to some of Madison’s most famous bars, one of which the Crystal Corner Bar.

Located at the corner of Williamson and Baldwin Streets, the Crystal Corner shines like a beacon to a traveler in the night. The walls of the bar feature huge windows of glass blocks, through which light and neon from inside create an interesting, crystal-like shimmering effect. In fact, the corner was specifically known for this type of glass block windows — the pharmacy across the street used to have similar glass blocks in the walls — and locals simply referred to this intersection as the “Crystal Corner.”

Dating back to the 1930s, the bar’s original owner earned her place in Wisconsin history by receiving the first liquor license awarded to a woman in the state. The Crystal Corner originally doubled as a carry-out liquor store, which is evidenced by the sign outside that reads, “Package Goods.”

The bar continued to operate as a liquor store until a fire in 1987. The fire was caused by an anger-ridden patron with a beef against a bartender who lived in one of the second-floor apartments above the bar. He apparently tried to start a fire in one of the bathrooms, but this initial attempt was relatively unsuccessful. Returning later that night, the man threw a Molotov cocktail into the window of the upstairs apartment. His second effort was more successful, and the bar suffered major damage. Fortunately, most of the fire damage was limited to the second-floor apartments, and the owners were able to retain and recreate the bar’s original charm.

The oval-shaped bar itself is massive and has an art deco-type feel. Located in an island-like fashion slightly to one side of the establishment, the bar allows bartenders a near 360-degree view of the goings-on inside. Made of wood and Formica, the bar also features some neat shelves underneath the bar surface which allows patrons a convenient place to stash their stuff.

Just as the bartenders are afforded a good view, so are the patrons when sitting at the bar. This open environment maximizes interaction, breaking down barriers and creating an atmosphere that people from all walks of life enjoy. Bartender Brian Burns sums up the diverse crowd in a slightly more raw fashion.

“This is only bar I know where a UW professor, a crack addict, and some other schmo will sit down next to each other, grab a few beers, talk about the Packers, and then leave the bar to return to their own little worlds,” he said.

If the image of those three guys is not interesting enough, you can take in some of the other bar surroundings. One interesting item is the miniature stoplight on the top of the liquor cabinet indicating whether the bar is open or closed.

There is also a container, resembling a home with a red roof, titled the “Nut House.” This quaint device is actually home to mixed nuts and cashews, of which patrons can purchase for a buck. If you don’t want to go for the nuts, you could gnaw on a Fat Freddie Sausage Snack, which is a beef stick about a foot-and-a-half long, and it really hits the spot after a few beers.

Live music is a major draw at the Crystal Corner. Over 100 photos of previous performers like Buddy Guy and Koko Taylor line the walls. Every Saturday (and other nights as well), the staff will push out the three pool tables and set up a stage for a musical performance.

The stage is set up in front of a huge trophy case, above which a sign reads, “Live well, laugh often, and love much,” in a stylized Gothic script. The cover charge is nominal, and the acts are varied — alternative rock, blues and reggae.

Reflective of its “no pretensions” attitude, the bar is known as a beer-and-shots kind of place. There are a variety of beers on tap, ranging from Coors to Old Style to New Glarus, all at very affordable prices. One of the more unique drink specials is Irish Pub Music Mondays, which feature across the board $2.50 Jameson and Bushmill shots, Harp bottles, and Guinness and Bass pints. The bartenders also take pride in their mixed drinks, which are well poured and presented.

The staff is long tenured, and consider the bar a second home or family. It came as no surprise to find a birth announcement at the bar, proclaiming the arrival of a new addition to the Crystal Corner, the newborn of one of the bartenders.

Bartender John Durand, who has managed the bar for the past 14 years, reflects that the bar’s simplicity is in its drinks.

“We don’t have a blender for those fancy-type drinks, and we probably never will,” he explained. That sentiment is exactly what one would expect from a man whose favorite drink is a St. Pauli Girl and a shot of Jäger.

The Crystal Corner is an eclectic slice of Madison. Simple and understated, it is easy to find the timeless quality that has kept the establishment a popular Willy Street fixture for years. I’ll drink to that!

Bartime will be at the Argus Bar tonight, Friday, March 8, at 10:30 p.m. The Argus is located at 123 E. Main St. off of the Capitol Square and can be reached at 256-4141. Cheers!