‘Count’ on entertainment

‘Count’ on entertainment

By: Kate MacDonald–artsetc. editor

Grade: B

The extremely geeky tagline for the new film “The Count of Monte Cristo ” is “Prepare for adventure. Count on Revenge. ” Despite being profoundly awkward, it does provide a tight synopsis of the film in just two sentences. Revenge is the goal, of course, and adventure is the byproduct of attempting to attain it.

The film is based on the famous novel of the same title by Alexandre Dumas. During the nineteenth century, Dumas wrote “The Three Musketeers, ” “The Man in The Iron Mask ” and “The Count of Monte Cristo. ”

It’s fair to say that his novels have a certain cinematic appeal. But filmmakers seem to be especially drawn to the dark pauper to prince romance of “Monte Cristo. ” Russia’s “Uznik Zamka If, ” Italy’s “Il Conte di Montecristo ” and France’s, “Le Comte De Monte

Cristo ” are just a few previous film versions.

America, not to be left behind, has teamed with Britain to produce its own adaptation.

Director Kevin Reynolds was the man behind 1995’s “Water World, ” a cinematic natural disaster on the level of Pompeii.

Reynolds wisely disappeared for several years after that. But, he has recently crawled out of hiding to direct the newest take on “The Count of Monte Cristo. ”

Financed by American and English production companies, Reynolds has again been trusted with a huge budget and star-studded cast. Don’t ever say that Hollywood can’t be forgiving.

Lucky for us, Reynolds is more than adept at handling the responsibility. He moves the lush film along at a steady clip flanked by daring escape sequences, treasure hunts and sword fights. Every now and then, “Monte Cristo ” pauses to take a breath and let its characters reflect on the existence of God, the morality of vengeance and the power of wealth. But in no time, the film resumes its whiplash pace.

Jim Caviezel ( “Angel Eyes “) should be applauded for pulling off the 180-degree character turn. He begins the film as the wide-eyed, child-like naivete Dantes. But betrayal and false imprisonment turn him into “The Count of Monte Cristo, ” a stone cold, merciless man bent on causing pain and suffering to all those who wronged him.

Guy Pearce ( “Memento “) is his sneering antagonist Mondego. Pearce takes the angry, evil bad guy thing a little too far, but it just serves to better highlight the quiet intensity Caviezel’s Count.

Luis Guzman ( “Traffic “) is stellar as the Count’s sidekick and the seventy-two year old Richard Harris ( “Gladiator “) pulls off an extremely physical role as “Faria. ”

Newcomer Dagmara Dominczyk is the sole female lead as “Mercedes, ” the disloyal lover of the Count. She would do well to spend less time trying to look pretty and more time trying to act. Her whiny, pouty-lipped Mercedes provides the film with some of its most lagging moments.

There are more than a few instances when the characters get too over the top. The constant repetition of religious themes gets a little old, and some of the flashback sequences are completely unnecessary. But overall “The Count of Monte Cristo ” is the action packed tale of wrath that is purports to be.

Prepare for adventure. Count on getting your money’s worth.