Altman makes a walk in the “park”

GRADE: A

As the cliché advises, you should never judge a book by its cover. Likewise, you should never judge a film by its poster. But it is hard not to be deterred by the droll poster for the new film “Gosford Park.”

The ad features a man facing backward with a long list tacked to his back by a knife. This list includes a roster of British actors that would make any diehard “Masterpiece Theater” fan quiver with anticipation.

But those moviegoers not versed in the BBC will most likely only recognize Ryan Phillippe (“Cruel Intentions”). Furthermore, the film is directed by Robert Altman, the man who inflicted “Dr. T and the Women” on us last year and “Ready to Wear” a few years before that.

With just one look at the poster for this period murder mystery, the temptation is to run like hell. But that would be a grave mistake, because there is a captivating and beautiful film waiting inside.

There are 26 lead characters in “Gosford Park,” each equally fascinating and integral to the plot. The myriad cast of accomplished European actors and actresses that play those parts all deserve to be as recognized in the United States as Phillippe is.

Altman displays a deft touch as he delicately balances all the characters, intrigues and plot twists with stunning restraint. Maggie Smith (“Harry Potter”) almost steals the show, though. As the prickly and spoiled Countess of Trentham, Smith proves her prowess as comedienne with every barbed quip and arched eyebrow.

The story takes place during a weekend hunting party held at an English countryside manor during the 1930s. A diverse group of wealthy marauding businessmen, their bored wives, an American producer and a movie star make up the guest list. They all arrive with their servants in tow, and the fun begins.

Altman creates two worlds in “Gosford Park,” calling them simply “above stairs” and “below stairs.” The snobby socialites make up the “above” group, while the maids, butlers, cooks and servants are the “below.” While the class distinction seems clear and rigidly divided at first, the line becomes instantly blurred by secrets, sex and eventually murder.

Calling “Gosford Park” a murder-mystery isn’t an entirely appropriate classification. A murder-mystery generally starts with a killing; an investigation follows, and finally the culprit is apprehended. Three-quarters of this film go by with no bloodshed at all. Altman just lets his camera languidly play voyeur to the 26 personalities existing in their worlds above and below the stairs. He sucks the viewer into this microcosm of martinis, ball gowns, gossip and backstabbing.

But then there is a murder, there is an investigation and secrets are all laid bare. The last half-hour contains more twists and shocks than an amusement park ride. Like a good murder-mystery should, however, all the clues to solve the puzzle are presented to the audience throughout the film.

So, if you’ve ever fancied yourself as a modern Sherlock Holmes, you can test your powers of perception here. For those who look to movies as a means of escaping reality, “Gosford Park” is the perfect weekend retreat.
Gr