Bosnia native shares stories

Tales of war-torn Bosnia dominated the news in the mid-1990s, yet Americans were still unaware of the complete story. Personal accounts of the conflict have begun to trickle out since the culmination of its civil war.

Aleksandar Hemon, born in Sarajevo in 1964, moved to Chicago in 1992, immediately preceding the conflict, and acquired odd jobs to survive so that he could conquer his goal of learning to write in English.

Starting in 1995, Hemon began writing, and he was first published in The New Yorker and “The Best American Short Stories 1999.”

In the collection of short stories, “The Question of Bruno,” Hemon takes command of the English language, writing prose that entices the reader and allows for deep study into all the characters’ lives. The eight short stories presented each possess a unique angle that somehow binds them back to the conflicts in Bosnia.

Easily moving from humorous accounts of the assassination of Archduke Frances Ferdinand (“The Accordion”) to frightful realizations of the events that occurred during the Bosnian civil war (“A Coin”), Hemon manages to impress with a wide range of topics and introspective style.

In “A Coin,” Hemon gives multiple perspectives of the events during the war.

First, an American cameraman who is desensitized to the events blindly films even the most grotesque happenings without any semblance of emotion. A native from Sarajevo, who edits the footage, contrasts the cameraman’s character.

Initially striving to portray the horror of the events to the public, she includes the most graphic scenes. Later, disturbed by the troubling images, she only includes these horrific accounts on a personal tape to document the events for herself.

Hemon describes the terror of Bosnians attempting to make it through “sniper alley” with body and life intact. This story, although sometimes graphic, stimulates both the emotional and humor sects of the brain.

Hemon uses a series of disjointed, seemingly random statements to tell the story of the life of Alphonse Kauders. The unconventional method of retelling proved interesting and will hold readers’ attention.

Perhaps the most gripping story, and most relevant to Americans, is “Blind Jozef Pronek & Dead Souls.” This story contrasts the life of a Bosnian who has escaped from prosecution with the lives of those who have not. Pronek’s family remains in Bosnia while he has escaped to the United States. He lives in Chicago, working odd jobs until the civil war is over and he can return to Sarajevo to visit his family. This story seems to resemble the life of Hemon himself, leaving for a delightful twist.

Each story survives on its own merit, providing insightful tales into the lives of various people. It is astounding that Hemon, inexperienced with the English language, achieves a feat rarely accomplished by native speakers. He masters the language with his vivid adjectives and intellectual tone.

“The Question of Bruno” proves to satisfy all areas desired in a novel: humor, drama and realistic horror. Hemon provokes thought and moral dilemmas in his charming tales.