Novel explores the minds of women

The female psyche is twisted and complex, and the code may never be cracked completely; however, in “Personal Velocity,” Rebecca Miller attempts to do just that by offering seven somewhat realistic stories of the trials and tribulations of life that reveal the journey into the minds and hearts of seven women. The novel reveals that although each woman may be different, there is a common thread running through the world’s female population.

Greta, Delia, Louisa, Julianne, Bryna, Nancy and Paula are seven complex women with complex lives. Making sex an integral part of each of the character’s existences, Miller weaves stories about the women throughout the novel, relating them all back to the favorite subject of sex.

Appearing to be the common theme of the book, sex seems to comfort the aforementioned women. Reading about their “sexcapades” is entertaining and a little shocking. However, it does not meet the burden of quality literature, and instead provides a somewhat entertaining quick read.

Greta, a jet-setting New York City editor moving up in the publishing world, has an affair the week before her wedding and spontaneously realizes that she is in love with her soon-to-be husband. Dismissing her lover and the belief that she has done anything wrong, she jumps on a plane to Ohio to meet her fiance for their wedding. At the same time, Delia, an abused housewife, uses sexual actions apparently to make herself feel better, a habit acquired during her childhood.

The heartwarming element of each story is real. Miller noticeably includes an element that will swell the heart of the reader, drawing sympathy for each character. In the case of Delia, the reader sympathizes with the difficult life of a battered woman and surviving with her children. The element of humor is inserted, whether intentionally or not, with the inclusion of a girl from Delia’s childhood, “Fat Fay McDougherty,” who, in solely a humanitarian action, allows Delia and her three children to stay with her after Delia leaves her husband. With the inclusion of Fay, Miller tells the somewhat troubling story of Delia during her childhood, when sexual activity seemed to be the center of her self-confidence.

While at times the pro-feminist and empowering themes seep through the pages of the novel, the sexual undertone of the novel seems to override the stories Miller presents about each woman, which in and of themselves would be intriguing enough to hold the attention of the reader.

The author writes the 178-page novel in a terse prose, allowing even the most distracted reader to understand the story. The straightforward writing style carries into the stories, which at first glance appear simple until the sexual angle throws the story off kilter, shocking the reader with its interesting, yet unconventional, nature.

Although each woman in the novel travels at her own “personal velocity” to achieve her desired goal, sex seems somehow to be involved in the accomplishment of this goal.

“Personal Velocity” proves to be mildly entertaining with its sexual charades and somewhat heartwarming tales; however, only mildly entertaining, thus not world-altering or a “must-read.”

Rebecca Miller will be at the University Bookstore tonight.