UWPD warns international students, faculty of phone scam

Callers demand financial information, threaten deportation
Courtesy of Pixabay

A phone scam targeting University of Wisconsin international students and staff has reemerged, threatening deportation if they do not comply with the caller’s demand for financial information.

The UW Police Department and the City of Madison Police Department have received a number of calls in the last week from students and staff reporting calls from someone who claims to be a UWPD officer, according to a UWPD statement.

The caller claims to be informing the students and staff of taxes they own or a warrant for their arrest. This is a scam to deceive people into giving out their financial or personal information over the phone as a way to steal their money, the statement said.

The caller ID appears to be a local number, but UWPD suspects the call is coming from overseas, the statement said.

https://badgerherald.com/news/2014/09/11/phone-scam-targets-uw-parents/#.VO_NmEKJnzI

A similar scam appeared on campus last fall when callers claiming to be officers were requesting money to release children from jail. The callers claimed to be UWPD officers and the phone number appeared to be from UWPD.