Madison’s food carts await evaluation

Madisons food carts await evaluation
Badger Herald Archives

Madison’s food carts are hoping to claim campus’ most popular locations, as a series of reviews by a city committee this week will determine their fates.

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said between Sept. 22 and Oct. 4, panelists will judge each food cart on a variety of aspects. Verveer is a member of the Vending Oversight Committee which is organizing the review, during which tasters will grade each cart based on its menu and food.

At least 53 vendors will be inspected and reviewed this year, including those that have been operating at East Campus Mall and Capitol Square. Sixteen brand new food carts will also be viewed Oct. 4, Verveer said.

The carts that receive the highest scores get top priority for choosing their operating location for the year, Verveer said.

Some of the factors panelists take into account include presentation of the food, the distinct taste of the food and whether or not the food is appealing to the panelist, Verveer said.

A sheet handed out by Warren Hansen, the Street Vending coordinator, describes the points the panelists may give or take depending on the cart, Verveer said. Vendors are also given their own sheet to know what panelists will be judging.

Despite the pressure to do their best, food carts are looking forward to the judging, Verveer said. He said many of them hope the new assignments will greatly improve their business after construction season is over, and Library Mall, the former home to many food carts, will be reopened.

Verveer said Library Mall is a primary spot on campus for the carts, and is usually the first choice for the carts with the highest scores.

An employee at Jamerica Restaurant, a food cart that also has a restaurant located on 1236 Williamson St., said business was much better on Library Mall compared to the current location on East Campus Mall.

The Jamerica employee said parking is much more difficult near East Campus Mall, and construction has made it harder for people to walk around comfortably.

An employee at China Cottage, which now sits across from the Memorial Union, said business has been difficult since leaving its previous Library Mall location.

Jamerica Restaurant and China Cottage employees said they are awaiting a better location next year, after Library Mall construction finally ends around Halloween.

Verveer said the variety offered by the food carts is part of what makes them so popular and unique to Madison.

“Not many places have as big of a competition as we do, and there are many interesting food cart to visit and taste,” Verveer said.