State Street proposal approved, local businesses express concern

Despite concerns from local restaurants and residents, City Council approved a proposal for a 12-story mixed-use development, named “the Hub,” on the 500 block of State Street. 

City Council backed the project Tuesday night in a unanimous vote that would allow for developers Core Campus LLC to construct a 12 story building with 22,000 square feet of commercial space as well as 329 apartments facing State Street. 

The council approved the plan that was recommended by the Plan Commission on July 22nd, along with an amendment for the developers to give $50,000 toward modification of the intersection near the building’s planned parking space and require the Traffic Engineering Division determine the time and modification necessary. 

However, some residents and small business owners, including Aihan Atis, son of Turkish restaurant Husnu’s owner Husnu Atis, expressed concern that some local restaurants, such as Husnus, Kabul, and Buraka would be displaced. Many of these current businesses have been on State Street for decades.

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4 said this has always been a concern of city staff as well as those at neighborhood meetings, and that the developers are aware of it. 

“It is still somewhat bittersweet, perhaps sobering, that despite all the excitement over this new project there will still be displacement of existing businesses.” Verveer said. 

The city technically does not have the authority to allot a formal relocation for the tenants, however according to Verveer, Mayor Soglin has directed city staff to work with tenants in the relocation process.
Verveer also said that many of the tenants he has talked have expressed that they are satisfied with the help developers have given them in the relocation process. 

Roast Public House is the only restaurant on the site that has relocated and will take a vacant space across the street. 

The council however, did not adopt a proposed amendment by Ald. Ahrens, District 15 that would have referred the plan to the Food Policy Council in light of the concerns. 

Residents expressed further concern for the affordability of the development’s proposed luxury housing, addressing the location’s strong student demographic.

Brian Monsun, of Vanderwalle&Associates who represented Core Campus said the developers had already addressed the issue. He said the company has added 44 studio apartments to the design in order to provide lower rent options for residents. 

“The diversity of housing type within the building is quite expansive.” Monsun said.

Monsun said Core Campus addressed this and other concerns as a result of its meetings with a neighborhood steering committee as well as city staff, adding that developers will continue to work with the committee throughout the process. 

Verveer said that the developers have been cooperative with the city and considerate of residents’ concerns when finalizing the details for this plan, noting that the overall project will be a positive change for the 500 block of State Street. 

“It think this is something the public will embrace,” Verveer said.