Mixtape Fridays: Waka Flocka Flame’s ‘Re-Up’

It’s been more than one year since Waka Flocka Flame announced the release of his third studio album, Flockaveli 2, and fans are getting antsy. Luckily, Waka has no problem keeping the fans engaged while they wait patiently: this past year, he has released two mixtapes and has toured the country with electro-house superstar Steve Aoki. As if that wasn’t enough, Waka has yet again filled the airwaves with his third mixtape in the past year, Re-Up.

While the New York native might have Big Apple blood flowing through his veins, his southern style is far from it. Having risen to superstardom through club bangers such as “No Hands,” “Round of Applause” and “O Let’s Do It,” Waka knows how to get the crowd’s blood pumping. This is music to get up and get wild to.

Waka was often juxtaposed with fellow rapper Gucci Mane in the infancy of their careers for their bass-heavy bangers, but Waka has shown the hip-hop game that he is here to stay by embracing a more entrepreneurial personality as an artist, far surpassing that of friend-turned-foe Gucci.

Waka released a song with hit EDM artist Borgore last year, and as indicated by his tour with Aoki, Waka has recently announced that he will be releasing an EDM-laced rap album come 2014 as well. If you thought you knew what the definition of ‘turning up’ was, Waka will make you rethink that.

On Re-Up, Waka demonstrates his growth as an artist lyrically, yet continues to demonstrate that his gritty street authenticity will never fade away regardless of the fame he obtains. Filled with bangers and tracks that allow listeners to gain better insight into Waka as an artist, Re-Up serves as a perfect introduction to Waka if you’ve never heard his music before. If Waka’s already won you over, Re-Up is the perfect Waka fix to hold you over until Flockaveli 2 comes out.

But wait, there’s more: HE’S COMING TO MADISON FOR REVELRY MAY 3! Waka Flocka is no doubt the perfect ingredient for a successful weekend here in Madison, and in turn, us Badgers can show him how the Midwest turns up. SQUAD UP!