Student Judiciary denies additional MCSC appeal

In a written decision released Tuesday night, the judicial arm of the University of Wisconsin student government detailed its reasons for denying the Multicultural Student Coalition’s appeal against the Student Services Finance Committee.

Student Judiciary Chief Justice Kathryn Fifield said the decision means the end of the “back and forth” over funding that occurred between SSFC and MCSC during most of last semester.

“This should be the end of MCSC’s dealings with [the Associated Students of Madison] for now. I don’t know what course of action they will take going forward,” Fifield said. “They can’t appeal anything else within ASM at this point.”

In the report, SJ explains the reasoning behind denying an appeal to the previous judicial decision, which dismissed MCSC’s accusation that SSFC violated viewpoint neutrality in the decision not to grant the organization General Student Services Fund eligibility.

MCSC’s most recent appeal alleged that Student Judiciary erred in its decision on the grounds that it misunderstood legal requirements and failed to recognize important facts in its evaluation. MCSC leadership also commented they had discovered new evidence that would change the original hearing decision and asserted that SSFC is a co-equal branch.

In the report, the student court dismissed all of the claims. The court dismissed MCSC’s assertion that the body misinterpreted the bylaws on viewpoint neutrality, ruling that the organization’s claim of a procedural error leading to a violation by SSFC was not factually-based.

The judiciary also dismissed MCSC’s claim that new evidence had been discovered, as one of MCSC’s claims was presented as hearsay and other “new evidence” was irrelevant to the case.

Regarding MCSC’s claim that SSFC is a co-equal branch, SJ found this argument had little basis in fact.

“MCSC proposed the idea that SSFC is subordinate to other bodies in Student Council, and this claim wasn’t really fleshed out and they didn’t give us enough to dig into,” Fifield said.

In addition, MCSC argued the case should be remanded to Student Council because of repeated viewpoint neutrality violations that occurred in SSFC’s denial of eligibility for MCSC. SJ dismissed this in its decision, ruling it would not do so because no violations occurred.

With all three main issues raised by MCSC dismissed, SJ ordered the denial of the appeals case.

SSFC Chair Sarah Neibart said she was not surprised by the decision and she felt SJ upheld SSFC’s processes.

“Like in any democratic process, MCSC had a right to appeal. But the Student Judiciary was thorough in its findings and decision,” Neibart said. “SJ upheld their policies and procedures and I was not surprised by their decision.”

With this denial of an appeal, MCSC will no longer be able to attain GSSF funding for the next fiscal year, since SJ has definitively upheld SSFC’s decision to deny funding and MCSC can no longer appeal through ASM.

MCSC did not return contact attempts as of press time.