ASM budget talks stall

ASM_MM

Leaders of the University of Wisconsin student government ruled the vote to appoint two representatives to Student Council is null and void and also voted on issues within the internal budget for the first time in Wednesday’s meeting.

After questions were raised about whether former representatives Beth Huang and Niko Magallon received the majority required, Chair Allie Gardner said while there was no objection to the vote and the officers were sworn in, the legislation must be heard again and two vacancies remain on council.

Gardner said two-thirds of the entire Student Council had to vote in the affirmative to legally fill the vacancies and swearing in the two officials was done in line with an alternate interpretation of the constitution.

While it remains unclear whether the matter will result in the filing of a suit with Student Judiciary, Rep. Libby Wick-Bander said the interpretation casts doubt on council’s appointments throughout the rest of the 18th session.

“This calls into question the appointments we’ve made all year,” she said.

Legislation to fill the vacancies through the Nominations Board will be reintroduced for a vote before the full council at a later meeting.

With less than three hours of the meeting remaining, representatives took up the Associated Students of Madison internal budget for debate, which must be finalized before Nov. 15.

A major area of debate centered on the Commencement Speaker Fund, which was earmarked at $1 as a line item in the budget. While proposals to adjust the funds ranging from $20,000 to $100,000 flew during the lengthy discussion, some officials said council should either fully commit to the fund or eliminate it entirely.

“I don’t think my constituency can be affected positively by this. … I don’t really see how $20,000 will [be beneficial] based on the intent of the line item,” Rep. Nneka Akubeze said. “It should be zero-funded or given the appropriate amount.”

Brandon Williams, a senior class officer, spoke in open forum about the potential impact of the newly created fund and said organizers would have a better idea of how much the speaker would cost after they received a formal commitment on the appearance.

With the failure of multiple motions, the Commencement Speaker Fund remained at $1.

Another controversial measure was a resolution in support of ASM joining the United States Student Association and a bylaw change that would establish accountability guidelines to evaluate the government’s relations with regional and federal student organizations.

Legislative Affairs Chair Hannah Somers spoke in support of joining USSA, saying the membership would allow for additional support at the national level on student issues.

Rep. Tom Templeton said USSA carries of history of disregard of UW campus policies during conventions, and because ASM is already a member of the organization by proxy through its membership in United Council for UW Students, the action would be effectively double billing students.

A motion from Rep. Cale Plamann to restore ASM’s co-sponsorship of the All Campus Party to $25,000 also failed.

Student Services Finance Committee Chair Sarah Neibart said the increase in operation grants available to student groups in the budget, from $160,000 to $200,000, would allow for less concentration in funding.

“We should be giving as many students as possible that resource,” she said.

The internal budget, which was unchanged during the course of Wednesday’s meeting, will go to SSFC for alternations before returning to council for a final vote.