ASM calls for campus to face diversity issues

ASM_TaylorFrechette
SSFC Chair Sarah Neibart tells ASM Rep. Tom Tempelton it might not be realistic for an ASM Transparency Act to be passed through. The act will be voted on next week.[/media-credit]

The Associated Students of Madison pinpointed diversity issues on campus and their roles in student government before this week’s meeting’s discussion of campaign proposals.

Vice Provost for Diversity and Climate Damon Williams presented his 21st century diversity report toASMbefore the meeting commenced.

Of the points he mentioned, Williams said he wants to change campus climate by taking past real-life scenarios — such as this summer’s Langdon Street mock lynching and last fall’s fake diversity shoot — and addressing them so the community can move forward.

While Williams wants to create a safe environment for students, he is calling onASMand other student organizations to help with visibility and voicing diversity.

“These aren’t my friends living on Langdon but yours,” Williams said.

ASM Rep. Tom Templeton’s proposal of an Email Transparency Act created debate on the floor. The proposal would allow students to see emails sent to theASMlist serve.

“I think that it is in a good faith effort when we talk about transparency with students,” he said. “It’s more bureaucratic and already costs the time of our secretary and money. This would streamline information requests.”

WhenSSFC Chair Sarah Neibart asked Templeton if he would be willing to continually write the possibly hundreds of names into every email sent, Templeton responded no.

The Transparency Act will be voted on during next week’sASMmeeting.

ASMalso discussed the proposal and adoption of fall campaigns. Rep. Leland Pan proposed a campaign based on student hourly workers protections.

“Essentially, this is the perfect time to start tackling student protections to not only extend existing protections for other staff but also investigating possible improvements,” said Pan.

The campaign was adopted with a 15-2 vote and two abstentions.

The council also carried the tenant rights campaign, which would give more privacy and protections to those living in Madison, with a 16-4 vote. 

Cases mentioned included more than 24-hours notice of an apartment showing for current tenants along with giving tenants more time before having to sign leases.

Some representatives argued against campaigning on the issue, saying that it was a good matter to tackle but not to campaign on becauseASMmight lose.

Vice Chair Huang disagreed, citing the power letters and rallies could have in addition to a large amount of support.

“I don’t necessarily think we would lose,” Huang said. “There is a lot of student interest here, and this affects everybody. It’s going to have a lot of support.”

The making college affordable campaign also carried, and the legislation concerning the student transportation board passed with unanimous consent.

The debate on the proposed legislation to move the budget used normally for a chief of staff to otherASMmatters such as the recruitment of new students and internal training was not resolved.

The meeting was adjourned before debate and vote was allowed on the process for selecting students to serve on the chancellor search and screen committee as well as legislation ensuring referenda transparency when dealing with segregated fees.