Experienced Badgers ready for fall

In head coach Brian Fleishman’s inaugural season, the Wisconsin women’s tennis team saw a six-win improvement from 2007. Expectations for his second year are greatly elevated.

“We want to be top five in the Big Ten and top 40 in the NCAA,” coach Fleishman said. “We just want to make sure when we go out to play other teams they don’t want to play us.”

As can be expected, Fleishman reports a greater comfort level the second time around.

“I think anytime you’re a new coach and you’re just taking over, there’s a lot of uncertainty on both the players’ side and the coach’s side,” Fleishman said. “Now everyone here has the same goals in mind.”

Senior Liz Carpenter has noticed her coach’s change in demeanor and knows he expects more from the rest of the team.

“Last year was the honeymoon stage,” Carpenter said. “This year he’s definitely coming down harder on us, and he expects more.  We expect more out of ourselves, knowing how far we can be pushed.”

After missing out on All-Big Ten honors by one win last season, Carpenter is back with resolute focus.

“[She] really put a lot of work in over the summer,” Fleishman said. “I think [missing out on all-Big Ten honors] made her mad a little bit.”

Carpenter, who will be heading to California for an All-American pre-qualifier next week, is one of six returning players. Also back is sophomore Jessica Seyferth, who went 10-14 as a freshman playing between the number two, three and four positions. Her performance earned her the team’s “Grinder Award.”

“I’m a lot less nervous [this year],” Seyferth said. “I gained a lot of experience on the court last year.”

In addition to the six returning players, the team boasts five newcomers, including transfer Alaina Trgovich from Kentucky, who paired with Seyferth in high school doubles.

“She’s already got one year under her belt, playing in the SEC — which is a pretty high level,” Fleishman said.

As for re-establishing the high school tandem, Fleishman is unsure as to whether that will be an option this year.

“They want to play together, but they understand that they might not,” Fleishman said.

Although the fall slate features no home matches for the Badgers, the schedule could be beneficial when the new year and spring season roll around. The Badgers open the Big Ten season with three consecutive home matches, and they host both the ITA Team Indoor Championships in February and the Big Ten Tournament in April.

“I think we’re a little more pumped up when we’re playing on our courts,” Seyferth said. “We don’t want anyone winning on our court except for ourselves.”

For the fall season, though, the goals are more modest. According to Fleishman, the fall is important for preparing physically for the spring, developing team chemistry and establishing the rank order of the team.

“It’s a good time for them to work on their game,” Fleishman said. “But also to show me, ‘Hey, I deserve to play No. 1,’ or, ‘I’m the second-best player, the third-best player.’ It’s a good time to figure out what your lineup is going to be.”

The team gets its first opportunity this weekend at the 33rd annual Milwaukee Tennis Classic at the Western Racquet Club in Elm Grove, Wis. Also in the field are Alabama, Texas A&M and Marquette.