Women’s soccer boosted by pair of Big Ten wins

Battling rain, wind and a one-goal deficit, the Wisconsin women’s soccer team battled back to beat Illinois in overtime Sunday.

The Badgers (10-5-1, 3-4-1 Big Ten) recorded two crucial wins at the McClimon Complex this weekend, beating the Fighting Illini 2-1 and Northwestern Friday night by the same score.

After giving up a goal with under five minutes to play in the first half against Illinois, UW fought back to tie the game up and send the game into overtime. After several close chances for Wisconsin in the first overtime period, sophomore forward Cara Walls netted the game-winner just 44 seconds into the second overtime off a wrap-around shot inside the box.

“In our play in the overtime, it showed that we’ve had experiences with overtime and we know how to be focused,” head coach Paula Wilkins said. “I thought that 45 seconds into the second overtime, with the wind, to be able to get a goal is outstanding.

Wisconsin and Illinios (7-6-2, 4-3-1) traded opportunities for most of an evenly played first half. The Illini took advantage of the wild wind gusts at their back. Senior forward Marissa Holden shot the ball past the hands of UW goaltender Genevieve Richard to give Illinois a 1-0 lead headed into the half.

The Badgers came out strong in the second half with several close chances. Freshman forward Lindsey Holmes found herself with the ball inside the Illini box with just one defender in front of her. Holmes dribbled to the middle of the box and put the ball in the top left corner to tie the game with 7:37 left in regulation.

With momentum in its favor, Wisconsin took over the overtime period, recording five shots to Illinois’ one, and Walls ended the game with her goal.

“I have never seen this team play like that in overtime,” senior captain Joana Bielefeld said. “I think that everyone felt like our backs were against the wall, and we all went as a team, and it was definitely a team effort to win that game.”

Wisconsin struggled in the Big Ten heading into this weekend with a single conference win this year. Illinois was the toughest team left on the Badgers’ schedule.

Sunday’s game was about as evenly matched as possible with both teams recording 15 shots, five corner kicks and a single goal in regulation. However, Wisconsin was the better team in overtime despite fatigue from Friday’s game and earned its third Big Ten win of the year.

“I think it is always difficult on the second day, having to battle with Northwestern until the end. I think that is always a challenge,” Wilkins said. “[In overtime] I think at that point in the game it is heart.”

Victory over Northwestern kicks off weekend

In a much more physical game Friday where weather wasn’t a factor, Northwestern forced Wisconsin to fight until the bitter end. 

After taking a 2-0 lead in the first half, Wisconsin let Northwestern back into the game. Sophomore Bo Podkopacz finished a loose ball in the Badgers’ box to put the Wildcats on the board with under 20 minutes to play.

However, the loss to Minnesota earlier in the year after taking a similar two-goal lead weighed heavily on the minds of Wisconsin players. And the Badgers continued to attack until the final whistle.

“You don’t want them to relive it, but you want them to remember that we had a two-goal lead [against Minnesota],” Wilkins said. “They can’t take their foot off the petal, and I think defensively we wanted to keep attacking.”

Walls shined for Wisconsin, scoring both goals Friday.

The Badgers started the game strong, and Walls found the back of the net for the first time less than 10 minutes into play. Senior defender Lindsey Johnson preformed one of her signature flip-throws into the Wildcats’ box, and Walls fought through the scramble by the goal and used her body to knock in the ball for UW.

Just 13 minutes and 18 seconds later, Walls again struck gold for UW with a header goal past Northwestern’s goaltender Rachel Bergman off a cross from UW freshman Kinley McNicoll.

“It was kind of awkward … but I just kind of went for it,” Walls said. “I don’t think the goalie saw it coming.”

After her three-goal weekend, Walls leads the team with 17 points and eight goals this season. Offensively, Wisconsin has had a difficult time finishing opportunities in Big Ten play this season. Friday night Walls showed control and patience, maintaining possession of the ball up top.

“The confidence [Walls] has in what she is doing is really important,” Wilkins said. “For us, we really need her to step into that role. I thought she was great holding the ball, not just scoring goals.”

Wisconsin has just three regular season games left, all on the road. Sunday’s overtime win, backed by the solid performance Friday, will serve as a motivator moving forward.

“Every point matters, and with three games left, we have nine more points and that is going to be the focus for us going forward,” Wilkins said. “I think our assistant coach Carmelina [Moscato] said it best we’ve got to use this as a momentum builder.”

Follow Caroline on Twitter